Exercise recommendations for my bad back!

AprilFresh4U
on 7/28/14 6:55 am - OH
RNY on 03/25/13

I am currently 16 months post op and I am having a tough time with exercise. I have a very temperamental and bad back and knees. Any advice or recommendations on some exercise activities that will not lay me up in bed with the heating pad? 

jenorama
on 7/28/14 8:18 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

To avoid hurting yourself, I suggest getting a referral for physical therapy from your PCP.  They can evaluate you and see what you can and can't do and help you to safely strengthen your weak areas.  Coming from a history of back problems, I definitely know you don't want to anger the back pain gods!  :D

Let us know how it goes!

Jen

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/28/14 8:24 am, edited 7/28/14 9:04 am

I second what Jen said. 

I have back issues but not knee problems.  I  personally like yoga, but I have been doing it for as while now and even now - some poses or even teacher (trying to be supportive) may make me hurt and be "out" for a week or 2. 

Water - in the pool - exercise, is suppose to  be good for knees and back. (I hate chlorine) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

aesposito
on 7/28/14 9:45 am

I was so thrilled when I got to my goal weight and could jog like I used to in college.  That is until my back started to protest and I had to stop.  Apparently losing weight made my back worse, not better... who knew... something about shifting centers of gravity, etc, yadda, yadda.

In any case, I started biking with my boyfriend, something I had tried before but hadn't put much serious effort into up until that point.  It was magic.  I've been doing it for more than a year now.  My back loves it (as long as my pedals and saddle are adjusted correctly), my knees don't mind as long as I avoid too many hills... you get the idea.

So yea.  Bike.  That would be my enthusiastic advice.  Any bike shop worth their salt would have gobs of advice and help for you to get started.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Dartmouth
on 7/28/14 10:46 pm - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Weird...I just went to the orthopod as my back has been misery for 6 weeks and she said bariatric patients often have trouble when they loose weight as ther back is realigning and it can cause allot of pain...

who knew!!

chulbert
on 7/28/14 11:46 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Please do not underestimate the power of simply walking.  I don't know what you can or can't do but work your way up to walking every single day if you can.

eeyoremom2
on 7/28/14 7:38 pm - WI
RNY on 06/01/12

Not sure exactly what your back issues are but I have degenerative disc disease and facet joint arthritis and what was recommended by my doctor on days that my back is really bad is to do pool exercises like pool walking, water aerobics anything in a warm water pool, on my better days he says low impacy exercises like elliptical or a recombent bike, He also advised me to work on developing my core muscles because they help support the back and that can be done through yoga. I have started doing yoga like 3 weeks ago now and the pain in my back has reduced. I do agree with the other recommendation though of checking with a PT becuase depending on what exactly is wrong with your back may limit what you can do.

5' 2" HW: 240.2 SW: 234.2 CW: 162.1 GW: 137lbs                  

"No dream is out of reach as long as you believe it."

"With faith all things are possible" 

Gwen M.
on 7/29/14 12:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'd like to add to the physical therapy bandwagon.  You can get a prescription from your PCP and your therapist can then give you great exercises to strengthen your core for the back issues and help with the muscles around your knees.  And she can also give you a plan for outside of therapy!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

divatish
on 8/3/14 4:25 pm - VA

I have spinal stenosis, and arthritis everywhere, plus weakness in my right leg from the stenosis, so I am currently in a wheelchair.  However, there are seated yoga and pilates DVDs you can get. (Look on Amazon.com, they are quite inexpensive).  The Pilates DVD uses the resistance bands and Pilates is even better than yoga at building your core, which helps strengthen your back and stretch your spine.  But, I do not recommend doing any exercises before checking with your ortho first.  I also recommend the water walking or deep water aerobics.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views