Food Timeline?

iHeartTeas
on 9/19/14 1:13 am, edited 9/19/14 1:20 am

About when we're most of you able to start introducing the following items to your diet?

1. Pasta

2. Bread

3. Tortilla (Flour & Corn)

4. Veggie Burgers

5. Corn

6. Mushrooms

7. Fresh uncooked vegetables

8. Crunchy Food

I understand that many of you have decided to completely eliminate many of these items from your diet entirely post surgery but I havent.  I decided to allow myself a very small amount on a few occasions.  I am wondering for those who are doing the same. When it was you started and how was it like?

Thank you! Please understand that though some may feel I should ever eat pasta or bread again it isn't how I feel.  I know there is a perfectly valid reason why I shouldn't eat it anymore so it isn't necessary for anyone to point out the benefits as I am already aware.  Again, thank you!

Nola68
on 9/19/14 1:44 am

My surgery was 7/22, the veggie burgers at 2 months, crunchy fruits and vegetables / salad at 4 months per my doctor.  I can't wait for an apple and a salad.

I would think you could have cooked mushrooms now, the rest I'm not sure about.

67 Years old - HW 252 - SW 231 - CW 149 - GOAL 145  RNY 7/22/2014

redviking
on 9/19/14 5:42 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

we are surgery date buddies!

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

poet_kelly
on 9/19/14 6:06 am - OH

I wonder why so long for salad and stuff?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ashley in Belgium
on 9/19/14 1:59 am, edited 9/19/14 2:00 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I was cleared to eat 'normal' foods including veggies and fruits at 6 weeks. My advice is any time you are introducing new foods to do it slowly, at home and a very small amount after your protein. Some things may not settle well the first time and are worth revisiting. Others may never sit right again. Go slow. But by 6 months I can't imagine you'll have difficulty with most things on your list though I haven't tried many even at 14 months out for the obvious reasons. Good luck. 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/19/14 3:29 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On September 19, 2014 at 8:13 AM Pacific Time, iHeartTeas wrote:

About when we're most of you able to start introducing the following items to your diet?

1. Pasta

2. Bread

4. Veggie Burgers

5. Corn

6. Mushrooms

8. Crunchy Food

I understand that many of you have decided to completely eliminate many of these items from your diet entirely post surgery but I havent.  I decided to allow myself a very small amount on a few occasions.  I am wondering for those who are doing the same. When it was you started and how was it like?

Thank you! Please understand that though some may feel I should ever eat pasta or bread again it isn't how I feel.  I know there is a perfectly valid reason why I shouldn't eat it anymore so it isn't necessary for anyone to point out the benefits as I am already aware.  Again, thank you!

I can't offer much on all these things, because as you mentioned, I am not adding all of them back in.  But, I can tell you on the things that I have!

1. Pasta - no
  2. bread - no
  3. tortilla - no
  4. veggie burgers - I used morning star from 6 weeks on
  5. corn - no
  6. mushrooms - tried them at 5 weeks.  Not pretty.  Again at 8 weeks, fine... since -- fine.
  7. fresh uncooked veggies - carrots at 8 weeks - ok.  Cucumbers at 9 weeks -- ugly -- still have to super chew.  Peppers since 6 weeks, tomatoes at 8 weeks -- was a bit iffy at first, no problems now.  
  8. crunchy food-- I am not sure what you mean by this?  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Lilly M.
on 9/19/14 6:41 am
RNY on 09/10/14

When I am at that point, my list will be the same as your list, K.White. White, processed carbs pretty much doomed me into an addiction to them, and they are empty calories. I thought I would never be accepting of this for me, but I am completely.

I do love to eat crunchy things, but my commitment to put healthy food into my body that will be the least likely to stir my old craving was a challenge in planning. I am only on full liquids, but I plan to have my new barry foods stocked. Most already are! It is fun to plan. Change is good. Someone on here mentioned Quest Nutrition, and I looked them up. THEY HAVE CHIPS that are very low carb with 21 grams of protein per serving. Now I can have a go to snack, and I can use them for my barry friendly nachos and chile!

Revision from Nissen Fundoplication to Roux-en-Y on 09/10/14. HW (214) 05/12/14 SW (198.8)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/19/14 7:31 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On September 19, 2014 at 10:29 AM Pacific Time, K. White wrote:
On September 19, 2014 at 8:13 AM Pacific Time, iHeartTeas wrote:

1. Pasta

2. Bread

4. Veggie Burgers

5. Corn

6. Mushrooms

8. Crunchy Food

I can't offer much on all these things, because as you mentioned, I am not adding all of them back in.  But, I can tell you on the things that I have!

1. Pasta - no
  2. bread - no
  3. tortilla - no
  4. veggie burgers - I used morning star from 6 weeks on
  5. corn - no
  6. mushrooms - tried them at 5 weeks.  Not pretty.  Again at 8 weeks, fine... since -- fine.
  7. fresh uncooked veggies - carrots at 8 weeks - ok.  Cucumbers at 9 weeks -- ugly -- still have to super chew.  Peppers since 6 weeks, tomatoes at 8 weeks -- was a bit iffy at first, no problems now.  
  8. crunchy food-- I am not sure what you mean by this?  

1.  Pasta - No

2.  Bread - No

3.  Tortillas - No

4.  Veggie Burgers - No

5.  Corn - Ate a few kernels last weeks, and I'm at nine months

6.  Mushrooms - Made Eggface's crustless quiches with them when I could eat solid foods and never had a problem

7.  Fresh Uncooked Veggies - I started introducing them at four months.  So far I haven't had any issues.

8.  Crunchy Foods - No idea what this would include.  Pickles?  If so, yes, I eat them regularly.  Crackers, chips, etc?  No.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

HFA70
on 9/19/14 3:50 am

I started eating tortillas (soft for wraps) once I could eat regular foods.

Bread, pasta, rice at about 6 months.  I can eat them, I choose not to.

Uncooked veggies, I can tolerate a simple salad, cannot eat carrots or apples.

poet_kelly
on 9/19/14 3:51 am - OH

My surgeon's plan had me able to add everything but uncooked veggies and crunchy food at two weeks post op.  Now, I did not actually eat bread until I was maybe two months out and pasta maybe about three months out.  Veggie burgers I ate just a couple weeks out.

Uncooked veggies and crunchy stuff were on my plan at six weeks out, I think.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 475 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 439 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 374 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 104 views
Forum Search Error & 404