vitamins

queenfairy
on 9/23/14 2:16 am, edited 9/23/14 2:28 am - midland, TX
RNY on 02/17/09 with

hey guys need help ive fallen off the wagon and need to a reminder of what am to be taking as far as vitamins thanks a bunch

TaNyA BeCeRrA

Sarahakers11
on 9/23/14 2:59 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I take the following

1 - multivitamin (opurity chewable) daily

1500 calcium citrate - daily (not with my iron and spread over 2 doses 2 hours apart

1 vitalady tender iron (3 x a week because I dont really get periods any more..It was daily but my iron and ferritin are high now so we backed off some)

5mg of copper daily

1 magnieusm daily (forget the dosage off hand)

Vitamin E M,W, F - mine was low on blood tests

Vitamin A M - F  - Mine was low on blood tests

B12 - daily

B complex - only on wednesdays

D3 - Daily

My pills have all had the dosages adusted after blood work.  B complex and Iron and several others were daily before and now are not.  Vitamin A and E were 3 times a week but the A was still low so we increased it.  I worked with my PA and we always look across several results to look at trending as well.

Sarah

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

poet_kelly
on 9/23/14 4:05 am - OH

Here's what the ASMBS says you should start with:

A multi with 100% of the RDA of most nutrients.  Take two a day.  Stay away from kids' vitamins and gummy vitamins, because those will not have what you need. Even though Flintstones says “complete” on the bottle, they really are not complete but are missing a number of important things. The ASMBS recommends a multi with iron. If you take a multi with no iron, you’ll need additional iron at a separate time. They say to start your multi as soon as you get home from the hospital.

1500-2000 mg calcium citrate.  Make sure it's citrate, not carbonate. That means no Caltrate and no Viactiv. They say you can wait up to one month to start your calcium – not that you should wait, just that you can.

54-63 mg iron for menstruating women (18-27 mg PLUS 18 mg twice a day in your multi, if you use a multi with iron). 36 mg a day for people that do not menstruate. We absorb carbonyl iron better than ferrous sulfate. Ferrous sulfate will also make you constipated. They say to start your iron as soon as you get home from the hospital.

B12.  You can use a sublingual, 350-500 mcg per day, nasal spray once a week, or shots once a month.  Unless your labs show you need more. They say you can wait up to three months to start your B12 – not that you should wait, just that you can.

They say a B complex is optional.

Many people also need D3 so you should get your vitamin D level to find out if you do. Don’t bother with the prescription vitamin D, because it’s D2 and in oil so we will absorb very little of it. Everyone needs D3 and post ops need “dry” D3, not in oil.

If you haven't been taking vitamins, though, you probably should get labs done to see what else you need to add.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Chilipepper
on 9/23/14 6:38 am
On September 23, 2014 at 11:05 AM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

Here's what the ASMBS says you should start with:

A multi with 100% of the RDA of most nutrients.  Take two a day.  Stay away from kids' vitamins and gummy vitamins, because those will not have what you need. Even though Flintstones says “complete” on the bottle, they really are not complete but are missing a number of important things. The ASMBS recommends a multi with iron. If you take a multi with no iron, you’ll need additional iron at a separate time. They say to start your multi as soon as you get home from the hospital.

1500-2000 mg calcium citrate.  Make sure it's citrate, not carbonate. That means no Caltrate and no Viactiv. They say you can wait up to one month to start your calcium – not that you should wait, just that you can.

54-63 mg iron for menstruating women (18-27 mg PLUS 18 mg twice a day in your multi, if you use a multi with iron). 36 mg a day for people that do not menstruate. We absorb carbonyl iron better than ferrous sulfate. Ferrous sulfate will also make you constipated. They say to start your iron as soon as you get home from the hospital.

B12.  You can use a sublingual, 350-500 mcg per day, nasal spray once a week, or shots once a month.  Unless your labs show you need more. They say you can wait up to three months to start your B12 – not that you should wait, just that you can.

They say a B complex is optional.

Many people also need D3 so you should get your vitamin D level to find out if you do. Don’t bother with the prescription vitamin D, because it’s D2 and in oil so we will absorb very little of it. Everyone needs D3 and post ops need “dry” D3, not in oil.

If you haven't been taking vitamins, though, you probably should get labs done to see what else you need to add.

Old information from 2008

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Chilipepper
on 9/23/14 11:29 am

You can tell her she got caught in another lie. There was no mention of bloodwork on this post.  Now she is taking advantage of blocking me to start lie and play innocent 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Karen M.
on 9/23/14 11:47 am - Mississauga, Canada

Chili, she was referring to Sparklekity's post, not to anything you posted, as you you're right, you didn't mention blood work, but someone else did.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Chilipepper
on 9/23/14 4:19 am

I use Bariattic Fusion. It's an all inclusive vitamin.  It contains the proper amount of vitamins and supplements and is approved by the ASMBS.  It's $25 a month. A take 4 chewable and I add an extra iron pill. 

http://bariatricfusion.com/bariatric-vitamins.html

poet_kelly
on 9/23/14 4:24 am - OH

Four of them don't have the proper amounts recommended by the ASMBS for RNY patients.  You'd need eight of them for that.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Chilipepper
on 9/23/14 5:15 am

I am holding the bottle in my hand. It says 4 for an RNY patient. They brochure indicates that they are approved by the ABMBS.  I am reading it as we I type this..I just emailed them to reverify.  If they are lying then there should be a lawsuit filed because they are trying to get people sick.  I tend to believe them but I will share the email when I hear from them.   

poet_kelly
on 9/23/14 5:21 am - OH

I wasn't aware that the ASMBS approves any particular brand of vitamins.  But the ASMBS recommends 200% of the RDA of things for RNY patients and four Bariatric Fusion only has 148% of vitamin A, 100% of vitamin E, 100% of riboflavin, 100% of niacin, 100% of B6, 100% of pantothenic acid, etc.  They also only have 1200 mg of calcium and more than half of that is carbonate, while the ASMBS says we need 1500 to 2000 mg calcium citrate.  If you read the label, it's easy to see they don't meet the ASMBS recommendations.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 321 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?