Iron questions

jjsparkilzz
on 10/23/14 4:12 am - Selden, NY

Hello all...

I got my labs back and my iron is pretty nonexistant. I have been taking Bariatric advantage multi ultra with Iron (has 45mg iron) PLUS a Vitron C (65mg) and apparently Im not absorbing it. Im thinking of trying the Proferrin Iron as it seems some people do well on that but it says that even though its 10 mg, its like 23x more potent than carbonyl Iron. Im wondering if I should take it with the multi or change multis. I just bought a giant bottle of the multis so Im frustrated on what to do and my doc is not keen on iron infusions. She would rather put me on birth control because she says my iron is being thrown away every month thru menstration. I do not want BC as I dont have good reactions to the hormones. What to do??? Suggestions? TIA!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/23/14 9:23 am

I am not menstruating and no matter what i can't absorb the oral iron. I had to have iron infusions. 

Good luck to you. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/23/14 10:07 am - OH

45mg of iron daily isn't very much since we lack the ability to absorb some of our vitamin supplements just as we do the vitamins from our food.  

The ASMBS guidelines say the recommended amount "for menstruating women and those at risk of anemia (total goal intake = 50-100 mg elemental iron/d)", so your 45mg is under that and you may just need to increase the dose of what you are already taking, especially if it doesn't bother your stomach or give you constipation (which some kinds of iron can do).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 10/23/14 6:39 pm - OH

She's taking Vitron C also.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bibo
on 10/23/14 10:08 am

Get a second opinion from another doc on the iron.

dmarchand
on 10/23/14 12:48 pm

had same thing my Dr. has me take Ferrous Sulfate Oral Solution (Liquid Iron) 300mg/5mL With a chewable 500mg vit C  2 X a day labs are doing much better.

poet_kelly
on 10/23/14 6:38 pm - OH

Ferrous sulfate is not absorbed as well as the iron the OP has been taking and 600 mg ferrous sulfate a day is a really low dose - something like 100 mg elemental iron only.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 10/23/14 6:37 pm - OH

I would try the Proferrin with the multi.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics