5 months post-op having problems sleeping, no menses and easy to stress

drmroth
on 11/22/14 11:31 am

hi all. I'm 5 months out and facing a few issues. I'm waking numerous times throughout the night for no reason, I've missed a few months of menses (was regular prior to surgery) and I'm stressing very easily. I'm also experiencing some depression. This has been going on for a little more than a month. I've lost so much hair but because you all told me I would, I was prepared for it. Are these other issues all part and parcel of the surgery?

MickeyDee
on 11/22/14 1:37 pm

Insomnia is not uncommon;  it's something I deal with a lot.  I use some Tylenol PM to ease me into sleep.

Depression and stress are often due to extra hormones being dumped into our bloodstream with rapid weightloss.

I can't comment personally on the problem of menses.

Poodlemac
on 11/22/14 11:18 pm
RNY on 09/26/14
On November 22, 2014 at 7:31 PM Pacific Time, drmroth wrote:

hi all. I'm 5 months out and facing a few issues. I'm waking numerous times throughout the night for no reason, I've missed a few months of menses (was regular prior to surgery) and I'm stressing very easily. I'm also experiencing some depression. This has been going on for a little more than a month. I've lost so much hair but because you all told me I would, I was prepared for it. Are these other issues all part and parcel of the surgery?

How old are you?  

cspotrun
on 11/22/14 11:26 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I also have not had a period except right after surgery and was very regular before.  Strange.  I plan to ask my surgeon at my 6 month follow up in January.  I'm 42, how old are you?  The previous posters are right on the money regarding sleep and depression.  It happens frequently. But if it persists and/or is really bothering you, you should see a therapist and tell your doctor.

Karen   

The Salty Hag
on 11/23/14 3:45 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I use melatonin to help regulate my sleep cycle. Maybe talk to your surgeon or PCP about using it? I haven't had a period in two years due to pre-surgery issues so can't give any advice on that.

Your RNY may not even be the root cause for your insomnia or depression. Bottom line: I think a phone call to your surgeon or PCP is needed. 

I hope you can find some answers. I know not being able to sleep is frustrating, and can have a snowball effect with other issues. I wish you well. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 536 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 271 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views