In puree stage, don't want much food

Lady_bugg
on 12/20/14 9:41 pm
RNY on 11/18/14

So, I am in my 2nd week of the pureed stage. I find myself reaching for a protein shake more than food. I don't miss food. I might have a couple of things food-wise a day, such as a scrambled egg, yogurt, or refried beans.  I am getting enough protein and water. 

So, I am just looking for some input from the pros. Am I hurting myself with these habits?

nicupnorth
on 12/20/14 10:46 pm - Eagle river, WI

I am in the same boat as you, kinda have to force myself to eat, my dietitian said as long as I  am getting my protein that is ok.  I am 11 days post op, and just "eating" something with my vitamins, my biggest hurdle is getting in the 64oz of water a day.  I feel like I'm going to float away. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/14 10:48 pm - Edmonton, Canada

You have a protein goal and a water goal, strive for those. At 3 weeks, I did't want to eat either and I think that's normal. There are days now, most days, where I don't have a desire to eat, but I stick to my meal plan. 

White Dove
on 12/20/14 10:48 pm - Warren, OH

I could not stand the texture of pureed foods and just skipped that stage.  I got plenty of nourishment from my protein shakes.  I added back foods at about four weeks out and started with things like ricotta, tuna, ham and split pea soup (finely diced ham) and turkey chili.  I tried pureeing those items and just did not want to eat it, so I would have a shake instead.

I have an attitude that I will probably have to consume pureed chili when they put me in a nursing home, but did not hurt myself at all by not eating it after surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Lady_bugg
on 12/20/14 11:54 pm
RNY on 11/18/14

Thanks for the responses. I am almost 5 weeks out. So it sounds like I am okay.

Laura in Texas
on 12/21/14 12:01 am

I also did not like the pureed stage and just drank 4 protein shakes a day for about the first month. After that, I introduced food a little at a time until I was eating a regular post-op diet. At 6 years out, I still do protein shakes when I am on the go. Much better for me than fast food and I am too unorganized to plan ahead as far as food goes.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 427 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 428 views