Pre Op Diet - HELP

newmein2015
on 4/1/15 2:38 am
RNY on 04/06/15

I am on day 3 of my preop diet.  Please tell me I will survive and not die of starvation.  This is BRUTAL.  I may sneak a piece of protein this tonight for dinner. Maybe a small piece of salmon or grilled chicken. 

helionoftroy
on 4/1/15 2:45 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

Stick to your plan, your doctor has you on it for a reason. Cheating doesn't help anything.

ladygodiva1228
on 4/1/15 3:12 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

There is no sneaking or cheating on the pre-op.  Yup it does suck, but your doctor has you on it for a reason.  Drink more water or do something to take your mind off the fact that you are not eating all the stuff that got you to the point of having to have WLS.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Berryhoosier
on 4/1/15 3:15 am
RNY on 12/17/14

You can do this.  You will not die.  It will be worth it.  Yes, it sucks big time.  But it will be over soon and you will have a whole new shot at life!  Stay strong!!!

mornings
on 4/1/15 3:16 am, edited 4/1/15 3:18 am - Canada

please try very hard  I know its not easy but I can offer a suggestion that may help  ..... I too struggled with a pre op diet for my sleeve ,   and im going on a liquid diet for my rny  in may ,    my dietian allowed me to  have a bowl of lettuce with some vinger   when I felt like I couldn't do it anymore ,   you know it really helped me thru my two weeks ,    when you have surgery you wont be hungry like this  and sometimes the hungry really is head hunger .... when you become frustrated or  tempted try to do something to change your mind , like a walk  or  call someone you can chat to  for a while to take your mind off it ,  also  what helped me is doing utube of people who been thru this and see how great they look , positive  feedbacks ,   I hope this will help you will get thru this just fine I know it... maybe phone your doctor  if its really bad to see if they may allow you lettuce to help with the bumps  if not then please do not cheat  ,   stay strong  it will be worth it

mschwab
on 4/1/15 3:36 am
RNY on 11/21/14

The pre-op diet is not fun, but you need to do it just as the surgeon instructed.  No cheating.  Besides, you are only cheating yourself. It's worth the effort, and you're worth it.   If you stick to the pre-op diet it will get easier, but only if you don't give in and eat off plan.  If you do, it will continue to be as hard as it is now.  Good luck.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

khunton
on 4/1/15 4:53 am

I too struggled with hunger until about day 4 of my pre op diet. What protein drinks are you drinking? I strongly recommend Premier Protein pre made drinks if you have a SAMs or Costco nearby. They have 30g or protein in one drink which actually kept me full to where it was more of a mind over matter. And they taste great too!

stevie95678
on 4/1/15 5:00 am, edited 4/1/15 5:00 am

Newmein2015 - YOU CAN DO IT!  I'm on (drum roll, please) Day 8 of my pre-op diet and I'm still very much alive.  In fact, I've lost almost 9 lbs so far!  If your plan allows, have a mug of hot chicken or beef broth seasoned with some pepper or herbs.  The other day at work, I drained a can of Progresso chicken noodle soup and nuked and drank the broth (YUMMY!).  On my plan I can do Crystal-Lite, sugar free Kool-Aid, herbal teas, sugar free jello and Popsicles too. (Again, check your plan.)  This is SO WORTH it!  You've come this far - jumping through pre-op hoops: blood tests, x-rays, upper GI, nutritional counseling and having your head shrunk.  You're so close to your goal of surgery. I was a total HAG my first three days - after that, your body flips into ketosis (your body burns fat instead of carbohydrates) and you'll feel so much better and have more energy. I thought it was a bunch of bull - but it's true!

Rosalie123
on 4/1/15 6:29 am

Preop diet is horrible but you can do it. Don't sneak ... Not worth the risk. If you start sneaking BEFORE you have surgery, how will you handle AFTER surgery is a question to ask self? You can do this!!

RNY 2/24/15

cheapskate
on 4/1/15 7:06 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I was scared that I couldn't make it 2 weeks on all liquid. Alls it took was googling what happened to people who didn't. It is serious business. From cracked livers to the doctor having to close you up without doing it. It just isn't worth the 2 weeks(or whatever your time is) to change your future. You can do it!!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 434 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 371 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views
Forum Search Error & 404