Last supper of sorts?

supershopper
on 10/12/15 10:42 am

I was talking to someone (a close friend) today about my upcoming surgery and she asked me, so are you going to have a little splurge before you start the liquid diet before surgery?

My mind went to all these fun food items I could eat that I likely would not be able to eat post surg. I at first said, yes, I'm going to eat such and such (I've been on the Dr eating program since June). Then afterwards backed myself back out of that thought. Having surgery is the reward, not food.

So my question to all you pros is- Did you indulge in something amazing before your surgery and if so, what was it and do you regret doing it?

Also- thanks to all you awesome people for the advice over the past 6 months!

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

SandieMc49
on 10/12/15 10:56 am

Okay - so I had a decadent menu planned in my head for my pre-liquid diet. This meal included a succulent lobster. Fast forward to the "night before".

I opened my refrigerator and freezer and sensibility kicked in. I had all this food available to me. My head said "eat big while you can, girl". The learned, committed part of me countered with "wait - doesn't it makes sense to use what you already have? I mean, what's the hurry, you'll be able to have lobster again".

I knew then that I had taken a really important step in my relationship with food. So I had a rather unappealing combination of whatever was in the fridge and freezer. However, the reward was knowing I was ready; I didn't NEED "the last supper"; but I'll tell ya one thing, I surely tasted victory that night!

cheapskate
on 10/12/15 11:00 am
RNY on 03/30/15

personally, I didnt. I felt like I had already had enough little splurges to get me to SO so I had pretty much covered everything I could want. I was gung ho to do it right and, at that point, there was nothing that was interesting to me. I think maybe my mind set was already changing, but I went in with the eat now pay later thinking and I felt like it was already time for me to be paying back.

AngryViking
on 10/12/15 11:40 am, edited 10/12/15 4:41 am
RNY on 07/17/14

Hell yeah, I did. There's this old inn here that puts on the most amazing brunch spread, so my husband and I splurged on that the day before my liquid diet began. It was delicious and I regret nothing.

mschwab
on 10/12/15 11:40 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I didn't throw any food funerals for myself. By the time I was in the head space to have surgery, I no longer wanted to view food as a reward or something that I was going to miss or be deprived of.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Maria27
on 10/12/15 11:48 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I allowed myself to splurge on what was already in my cupboard. I hate wasting food, so I spent the last couple of months before surgery coming up with creative ways to use the things I had already bought but wouldn't want to eat after surgery. I was more worried about using up what I already had than eating things one last time. I remember making lasagna, chicken pot pie, and spaghetti with meatballs, all traditionally from scratch for the first time. My husband really enjoyed it. I wasn't on a required diet at the time, but I did lose six pounds on my own. There were other things that I wanted to go out and get one last time, but I didn't. I don't feel like I missed out on them.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Deanna798
on 10/12/15 11:51 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I didn't. But I had been cheating off and on for the months leading up to that liquid diet. So I had treated myself already.

The third and fourth days on liquids and I was having carb withdrawal headaches. Don't load up on the carbs before hand, there is actually a physical withdrawal from carbs.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

chulbert
on 10/12/15 12:36 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I had a few last suppers and I don't regret it at all. However, at nearly 3 years post-op I can say it was completely unnecessary and my feelings were unfounded. My lifestyle now does not leave me feeling deprived of anything so there was no need to say goodbye to any food.

White Dove
on 10/12/15 12:58 pm - Warren, OH

My surgery was scheduled for the week after Thanksgiving and my family had all sorts of plans for my "Last Supper". Then my surgeon had an opening in October. They called and told me to start my liquid diet that day. My surgery was over with long before Thanksgiving and I only had one ounce of turkey and six kernels of corn for my Thanksgiving dinner.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

mamata2
on 10/12/15 1:54 pm

Yup! I had a week of everything I knew I could not have after surgery (although I did keep it within my daily calorie allowance). I don't regret it at all. I said goodbye and I haven't looked back.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 313 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 465 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 313 views