Water weight lesson (a no freak-out zone)

aesposito
on 11/24/15 4:59 am

I mention this to help everyone who has ever posted (or considered posting) a sudden weight-gain freakout post...

I ruptured my appendix Nov. 9.  I came home from the hospital Nov. 15 weighing 21 pounds more than when I arrived.

As of yesterday, 21 pounds gone.

What did I do to get rid of it?  Absolutely nothing, except I relaxed and didn't panic.  Stuck to the basics.  Walk walk walk.  Sip sip sip.  It was impossible to truly gain 21 pounds while eating nothing but IV food.  And it was impossible to lose 21 pounds in less than two weeks. 

What does this have to do with RNY?  Everything.  Don't weigh yourself daily (unless you need to for personal accountability).  Don't freak out over daily or even weekly changes in weight.  And don't panic.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Laura in Texas
on 11/24/15 5:29 am

I hope you are feeling better, Audrey!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

aesposito
on 11/24/15 5:42 am

I am, thank you Laura!  I even get to go back to work next week!  A 3-week Thanksgiving vacation for me... although not one I'd care to repeat.  I didn't even take that kind of time off for RNY!

Audrey

seattledeb
on 11/24/15 6:19 am

You lost that IV fluid weight fast. I'll bet it feels easier to breathe and stuff.

Glad you are doing better. Do you really have to go back to work so soon?

Deb

aesposito
on 11/24/15 6:27 am, edited 11/23/15 10:28 pm

I am just glad my ankles and waist have shrunk.  My underwear... OMG... I never knew underwear could be so annoying when it's too small.  It squished my stitches and glue and drove me mad. 

Actually I did know that too-small undies are annoying, when I was obese... how soon we forget life's lessons.

And I have to go back.  3 weeks is the upper limit for my ADD before my kids kick me out of the house.

Audrey

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/24/15 9:08 am

Cool.. The worst while recovering from a surgery is the need to pee... Go back to b ed or sitting ...only to have to get up 30 min later to pee again... Lol... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Joemac9408
on 11/24/15 9:55 am - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

When I had my gallbladder out I was out of surgery around 2 in the afternoon they told me I could go home as soon I was able to pee.  Well they pumped me full of fluids plus I was drinking water like it was going out of style because I wanted to get out of there.  Finally at 1am I peed what wouldn't fill a shot glass but they let me leave anyway.  That night when I got home and the whole next day I must've peed every 20 min, it was the worst part of that whole surgery, lol

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

crazy4birds
on 11/24/15 8:12 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

Why is always like that?  My bladder froze after WLS and they wouldn't let me leave.  I finally squeezed out enough for them to release me....right into rush hour traffic.  We were stuck in traffic on the Golden Gate Bridge when my bladder finally decided to work.  In spite of surgery and all the pain I have never jumped out of the car so fast as I did when we got across that bridge.

KennethHawkins
on 11/25/15 9:01 pm

Hi Audrey,

You are really brave and handled it too well. I agree with you, freaking out do not help in losing weight it just builds on more pressure on us.

I am trying to follow a diet to lose weight but its not showing much results but I will definitely take your advise and won't panic. 

Have a speedy recovery..

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 526 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 327 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 28 views