Issues with sugar or what?

Deanna798
on 6/22/16 11:45 am
RNY on 08/04/15

So, this weekend I overdid it and had a glass of wine, and then a bit of chocolate and got a nasty case of RH. Same thing on Monday, but I would add in lactose intolerance when I had a soft serve ice cream cone at the Zoo. So yesterday and today I've really recommitted to eating right and I'm doing very well so far. But I'm sitting here an hour after I ate lunch and a yogurt and feeling hot and sweaty and like I have a bit of RH going on, though it's mild in comparison. This is exactly what I ate and the times, can someone look and let me know what you think might be going on?

Breakfast at 8:40am. 2 eggs, 2 pieces of center cut bacon and a slice of velveeta. I waited for 30 minutes and have been sipping on a coffee with cream and 1 splenda packet for the morning.

I have drank 16.9oz of Diet Lipton Green Tea with Citrus (0 carbs, sweetened with aspertame)

at 12pm for lunch I had 3oz of london broil lunchmeat, 1oz of gouda cheese with mayo and a bit of tomato on 1/2 a low carb tortilla. The whole meal was 9 grams of carbs.

Then at 1:15pm I had my yogurt. It's a Kroger Brand Light Greek yogurt. 7 carbs (5 sugars) 80 calories Raspberry flavor. 14g of protein if it matters..

So, about half an hour after I ate the yogurt I started feeling hot and icky, like a mild case of RH. I still feel a bit jittery and sweaty, but I don't have any protein to eat to try to calm it out, I'm completely out of food.

Does this sound like RH? and would eating a yogurt with so little sugar in it do this? I looked and this yogurt has Sucralose, Neotame and Acesulfame as sweeteners. I had never heard of Neotame and Acesulfame as a sweetener before but after googling it I'm wondering if this is an issue.

I don't think today's reaction is from Lactose, though I ate cheese and yogurt. The Cheese was pretty hard and should have very little lactose in it. I'm not really feeling the intestinal issues I had when I ate the ice cream the other day.

I just really feel like I'm having reactions very often, and I realize that I have been quite bad with my diet recently, but I have been bad in the past and never really had the reactions as severely as I'm having now.

Can RH get worse over time for no reason? Is it that I'm developing dumping syndrome at nearly 11 months post op? Any ideas would be helpful. I religiously log my food so I can track patterns, etc.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

HFA70
on 6/22/16 12:02 pm

It could be dumping, it could be RH (which I can suffer from, honey garlic anything is not tolerated.)

The problem with sugar isn't sugar, it is the sugar alcohols.  Anything ending in "tol"(sorbitol, for ex.) can be baaaaaad.

I have found with yogurt the best thing to do is buy unflavoured and flavour it myself with fruit and a little sweetener, drink powders, etc.

I became lactose intolerant 2 years after my surgery and shortly after that had two RH episodes.

The Salty Hag
on 6/22/16 1:04 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

"The problem with sugar isn't sugar..." Did you maybe mistype something? Sugar is a problem for RNYers. We are taught from day one to avoid it. 

I do agree on the sugar alcohols. They can definitely cause one to feel awful. ( I can use erithrytol; all others make me feel icky. ) 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Lilly8985
on 6/22/16 6:45 pm

I thought dumping was only caused by "real" sugar or foods very high in fat content ( ie: fried foods) am I wrong? My diet plan says sugar alcohols can cause diarrhea and stomach upset, gas etc., but not dumping? My surgery is July 13th so I'm just trying to learn as much from you all as possible!

The Salty Hag
on 6/22/16 8:56 pm
RNY on 05/20/13
On June 23, 2016 at 1:45 AM Pacific Time, Lilly8985 wrote:

I thought dumping was only caused by "real" sugar or foods very high in fat content ( ie: fried foods) am I wrong? My diet plan says sugar alcohols can cause diarrhea and stomach upset, gas etc., but not dumping? My surgery is July 13th so I'm just trying to learn as much from you all as possible!

You're correct except too much fat causing dumping. Too much fat can cause some similar symptoms in people, but it's not technically dumping. 

Sugar alcohols can cause stomach discomfort, bloating, gas, and the big D, but it's not dumping. 

Then there's the "fun" of RH ( reactive hypoglycemia, which is different than hypoglycemia) which is felt an hour or later after too many carbs or sugar. Sweating, panicky feeling, confusion, and feeling too hot is how I feel when I experience an episode of RH. 

( I was asking the poster I replied to to clarify her statement since sugar is  very much a problem. )

Tom Petty

HFA70
on 6/23/16 12:28 pm, edited 6/23/16 5:32 am

She had stated she ate something low in sugar.  I know sugar is a problem for RNYers, I was pointing out that sugar was not the issue the sugar alcohols were.  

The Salty Hag
on 6/23/16 3:06 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Thank you for clarifying. 

Tom Petty

Lovely_Caprice
on 6/22/16 12:14 pm

Your sinful foods are:

Velvetta Cheese

Cream in Coffee

Mayo

Yogourt

Deanna798
on 6/22/16 12:18 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

actually, none of those foods are sinful.

Canola mayo (cholesterol free)

fat free greek yogurt that is high in protein

The velveeta cheese has less fat and calories than regular Kraft singles, which is why I use it instead of full fat cheese. 

Cream in coffee is half and half creamer which I drink everyday and haven't had issues with.

Do you think that those 4 foods that you list above is what caused my reaction today?Because I ate the exact same thing yesterday with no issues...

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

mute
on 6/22/16 12:28 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I dislike mayo so I can't comment on that lol.

But the cheese and yogurt are not sinful. Yogurt is very high in protein - especially the greek kind as long as you're ensuring that you pay attention to the sugar as well which she did.

I don't do cream in my coffee so I'm not really sure about that either.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 287 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics