My NUT told me VSG promises 100 lbs lost

KevinBacon
on 4/16/14 1:55 am
VSG on 03/10/14

My NUT actually discouraged me from choosing VSG because she said that it wouldn't give me the loss I needed. 

She said in her experience with WLS patients was that VSG will give you 100 lbs lost and then the rest is all hard work depending on the person. 

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/14 2:00 am

That's about right.  When following most dietitian's plans, that seems to be the result.  My doctor and dietitian wanted me to follow a very strict program early out to maximize my loss, they feel this is even more important for people with more than 100 pounds to lose.  I think it's possible to lose a great deal more weight with VSG but it does get harder over time and the weight loss does slow down for most people.  This is the reason for getting the most out of the honeymoon time. 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/16/14 2:01 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I think that is silly. There are people here who have lost anywhere from 50 to 250 lbs and some even more with the VSG. I think the only part of her comment that I would agree with is the part where she says 'depending on the person.'

I mean what if you only have 60 or 70 lbs to lose? Some people are light weights. Do they get to lose 100 lbs no matter what their needs are too? There are some folks who have lost over 100 lbs in 3 months following their VSGs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/14 2:09 am

I think she is talking about averages rather than individuals.  There can be no argument that individual results will/must be unique to the individual.  However, on average, that does seem to be what "most" people lose in the first 6 months to a year when they have quite a bit to lose.  It's been my observation on these boards, that 100 pounds is just about right for the "average" number, as always, individual results will vary. 

Bufflehead
on 4/16/14 2:08 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

That sounds crazy. I've been working hard since surgery. Sure, it's been a different kind of "hard work" than losing weight pre-surgery, but it's not like I've been sitting back and eating whatever I feel like and not exercising and the weight magically vanishes.
If my dietician told me I hadn't been working hard I'd tell her to shove it.

Stacy_WLS
on 4/16/14 2:10 am

I think the word "promise" is crazy.  It is not a gift - surgery bam 100 lbs gone.  The sleeve helps, but it does not promise.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/14 2:14 am

I know a woman who lost 15 pounds total after getting the sleeve.  How this is possible is beyond my ability to comprehend, but I saw her and talked to her and the "promise" didn't happen for her at all.  

Lisa J.
on 4/16/14 4:00 am - OK

I cannot believe she only lost 15lbs either.....that is completely a mystery to me.....I'd be actually wanting to see an xray or ultrasound to see if I actually HAD a surgical intervention. That blows me away......

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Teri Turner
on 4/16/14 8:13 am - WA

We see no loss and Even Weight Gain, even during the first half year, on My 600 lb Life on TLC.   It all depends on what you are committed to putting in your mouth. 

Like a weight loss (RNY) patient in the Kaiser Calimente wls program said to his treatment team, "Anyone can defeat the bypass with Karo Syrup".   Holds for the DS, too.  

It simply NOT be repeated too often:   the only way to lose with wls (any kind)  is to Learn the plan for your tool, then Work that same plan.

PS:  Working your plan includes all follow up visits and regularly scheduled nutritional status blood work.   

cheryls222
on 4/16/14 2:31 am - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

Here are my thoughts for what it is worth.

I think you can lose as much as you are willing to work for. Yes, it is "easier" in the beginning which is why you want to maximize your efforts.

In the beginning, you do not have to "work" as hard for it.  I have entered into the next phase where the weight loss has slowed.  There are no 'give me's" at this point.  I will have to work hard for every last pound going forward.   It is now about how bad do I want it!

Starting W: 320  Surgery W (9/12/13): 279.8.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views