Double mastectomy done! Protein target reached not so much (

happyteacher
on 4/16/14 4:02 am

Yestarday I had my surgery and today when I woke up it finally sunk in that my breast cancer risk that was originally over 80%, then a spot popped up but now.... my risk has plummeted to less than 5%!  I am pretty damn happy about this!  The doc said the node appeared clear, but pathology results due out next week will determine the next steps.  There is a very real chance i will not need to endure radiation or chemo, but I am trying to not get my hopes up.  Even if that is my path though, long term i am in so much better shape!

Husband as been a saint!  Some of you may recall that he completely fell apart with my TT and I wa worried he would be useless again.  But nope- angel status!  

Just in case there is anyone out there who may be facing a double mastectomy I willl describe the first 24 hours.  They get you on the surgical bed and knock you out.  You wake up.  Done!  Not to downplay it, but it went super smooth.  I now realized to ask for anti nasua meds prior to surgery and scripts post surgery as needed, and to skip morphine.  No problems at all with naseau this time!  

I am sore, but certianly nothing unmanageable.  I can i seated reach to the end table to get my coffee and drink it... i know that does't sound like much, but that is huge!  From what i read and was told that usually takes a week.  I had tissue expanders put in-and I am pretty sure this is where most of the soreness in coming from.  The put in 240 ccs.  I get a month of rest, then they start filling more.  Drains- 2 of them, totally no big deal.  They are much easier to deal with then the TT drains due to the location.  

My biggest issue is not wanting to eat protein.  The only thing that sounds good is bagels crackers... in general something to help soak up the yuck in the tummy.  So my goal is to get down at leat 2 shakes today, and ramp it up a little each day until I am hitting my target.  

I look like a 10 year old girl who has not gone through puberty, but I was expecting to look far more disfigured.  The doc did a great job!  I have about 4 months before i fiinish the rexonstructin (getting fills, implants, tatoos) but I am strangely ok with that.  just knowing how much my risk is reduced so, so makes it worthwhile.  

Oh, and all of that loose skin in the chest?  Gone! He left enough for the implants, but once i am done i ill look like my former 20 year old self.  Between this and the TT you would never know I had lost so much.  I am hoping this guy can do a facelift when i get the implants to save some cost, but i will cross that bridge when it comes.  

Remember ladies- get screened!  If you are high risk that should include a mri- this cancer was caught only on the mrii and not the mammogram so for real, get screened!  My outcome could have been sooooo much worse!

Sorry if this post isn't clear- I am on soe heavy duty pain killers. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Miss150
on 4/16/14 4:19 am

Oh, Happy!  Thanks for the update- so very glad to hear you are doing so well.  Take it easy, rest up- heal well.  The relief you must feel with the new prognosis---wonderful.  The protein and stuff will come along just fine- easy does it for now.  Tell your hubby he's a champ!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Nancybefree
on 4/16/14 4:25 am
VSG on 11/21/12

{{{happyteacher}}}  I had no idea you were facing this ordeal.  Your attitude is terrific, which I'm sure will go a long way in helping you heal well and be well.  All my best to you!

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

emelar
on 4/16/14 4:29 am - TX

Congratulations on a successful and easy surgery!  and I'm sure it's a load of worry off of your mind.  I've seen before/afters of reconstruction and it's freaking amazing what they do.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can skip the chemo/radiation and that the rest of your recovery goes as well as it's started.

tdallison
on 4/16/14 4:52 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Thank you for sharing your ordel.  You are such an inspiration to all of us.  I lost my mother to breast cancer about 12 years ago.  She was 56.  I get my screenings every year and I do self exam each month.  I pray that all will continue to go well for you.  God Bless you!!!

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

Chelle40D
on 4/16/14 5:29 am
VSG on 03/18/14

Thank you for the update and for your openness and inspiration.  I have not been on here long, but I have read your former posts and was waiting for this one :-)

Islandloser2013
on 4/16/14 5:45 am - Cayman Islands

. You're a very brave woman. So happy you've now crossed this bridge. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Tracy D.
on 4/16/14 5:47 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

So glad you've come through this with flying colors, Happy!  And I'll certainly keep my fingers and toes crossed that the path results come back "all clear".   

You are displaying a great attitude (maybe it's the painkillers?  ha!) and have been very brave through all of this.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

AuntieH
on 4/16/14 5:58 am
VSG on 11/20/13

Thank you for updating us. I am glad your surgery went smoothly and that you are doing well physically and emotionally. You have been through a lot and have shown a lot of resiliency, a wonderful trait to possess. I'll be praying that your pathology report comes back with good news. Gentle hugs to you.

pharmagirl_45
on 4/16/14 6:04 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

Glad all went well!  You are definately a fighter!

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

Most Active