Sleep study madness!

heartOtexasgirl
on 4/20/14 1:56 pm

I was required to do a home sleep study because I already use a CPAP. I have been having some problems with my mask leaking air, and hoped that this would not affect the test.  I was sent a monitor to attach to my machine that also had a belt with a monitor that I had to wear one night of sleep. Did that, sent it back to them.  Had a 4:00 appointment on Thursday to get the results from that sleep study.  I received a call the day before saying that the doctor needed to leave the office by 4:00 and to please come in early.  I also had my psych eval scheduled for that same day, as I live 2 hours away.  I made it to the sleep study appointment by 1:00.  While waiting for the doctor to come in, I noticed a sign by the door that said to bring in your CPAP card to each visit.  I thought, bet I should have brought my card but no one told me to, and I spoke to someone twice before the monitor was mailed out. I could tell when the doctor came in and started talking that he had no clue that I had done a home sleep study. Once he understood that, he found my report and said that I had 5 sleep apnea episodes in an hour and that I snored, but that was considered normal.  I let him know that my mask had been leaking and that maybe that altered my test results...he had no idea that I used a CPAP already. He asked if I brought my card with me.....I told him that his office, nor the paper work had told me to!  He said the test results from the study were still in the normal range  and just crossed out that it was a baseline test and put CPAP.  I did get fitted with for a smaller mask before I left, but left feeling like I had  just seen a quack that was in a big hurry to leave by 3:00!  When his PA came in, I told him that they should train their office staff better and told him that I didn't know to bring my card in.  He said they didn't know that I was using a CPAP.....OH but they did as I was sent a monitor to hook up to my CPAP machine!!!!!  I'm hoping to have to the doctor that did my original sleep study look at this report and the info on my card.  I am suppose to have the info from my card sent to the quack, but I also want the original doctor to see what my card says.  It's my understanding that you should not snore while using a CPAP....kind of thinking that I should not have any sleep apnea episode either!!!  I am now questioning the qualifications of the surgeon that I saw.  I'm thinking about searching for another surgeon. If I do so, will I have to start all over with the psych eval or could I just have that info released to the surgeon I go with? Any suggestions for San Antonio or Austin surgeons?

pineview01
on 4/20/14 2:15 pm - Davison, MI

I didn't have to have a sleep study prior to WLS.  I wouldn't see how that would have anything to do with the psych eval.  Unless like mine the eval is only good for one year and the rest takes longer.  We only needed a sleep study if people needed to prove a co-morb and I didn't.

I would want to have your own doc look it over too.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

TruemansMom
on 4/21/14 5:48 am
VSG on 06/24/13

Many surgeons require a sleep study now since the use of pain meds post surgery by a person with apnea can lead to death. The meds interfere with our bodies ability to re-boot during an apnea episode.

I am guessing that the scheduling of the two appointments was to avoid the extra 2 hour drive if they were seperate-no?

And, yes, OP, I would look for a different doc. it sounds like this one is not doing a decent job and neither is his office being run properly. This is your life we are talking about!

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

pineview01
on 4/21/14 12:09 pm - Davison, MI

Interesting!  Glad I didn't have to jump thru that hoop for my last four surgeries.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

heartOtexasgirl
on 4/24/14 11:36 am

I have tried since Tuesday to have the corrected sleep study report sent to me or my primary care physician, and have not received it yet.  I am now looking at a different surgeon. I get to start over with this process. But, the good thing is that I think I've decided that this surgeon was not as thorough with pretest and evals at the surgeon I was approved with, and the sleep study office is a joke.

mickeymantle
on 4/20/14 3:26 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

MY SURGEON SENDS ALMOST EVERYONE FOR A SLEEP STUDY

my hubby also has a cpap and he stops breathing 5-10 ,times an hour , before he was on the cpap it was 90 times an hour , it is normal for it to happen a few times with the cpap

when you have your surgery the pressure needs to be lowered to 10 or less

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

heartOtexasgirl
on 4/21/14 4:12 am

Sorry....has nothing to do with the psych eval....the appointments were just on the same day to avoid another 2 hour trip, and another day of missed work.

Lori W.
on 4/24/14 12:36 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

Isn't it only the sleep apnea doc that's a quack? Why would you have to switch surgeons? Sorry if I'm not comprehending what you are saying.

heartOtexasgirl
on 4/27/14 12:55 am

So the sleep study office and doctor made me uneasy with the surgeon's office.  Both offices gave me the run around about getting the correct sleep study report.  I did get a call from my advocate saying that the report had been sent to my PCP.  In talking to her, I felt better about the surgeon's office, but have still contacted another surgeon's office regarding a consultation.  He performs the most weight loss surgeries at the hospital that I called.....lots of practice right? 

There are some differences that I'd like opinions on.

One requires a one night stay for VSG, while the other requires 2 nights.

One does labs at 3,6, and 12 months, the other at 1, 6, and 12, or 1,3, and 12.

A huge plus is that one has Saturday appointments. 

What's most common for labs? and is 1 night really long enough when you're 2 hours away for the surgery site?

Most Active