No Weight Loss post op 2 weeks? Too soon for a stall? Insight?

kim17
on 7/21/14 12:54 am - TX
VSG on 07/08/14

The two weeks prior to my surgery I lost 10 lbs.  The two days after surgery I lost 3 lbs.   I am now am two week post op but have not lost any weight.  I get all my protein in and all my fluids.  I am still on full liquids phase of the post op diet.  Is it normal to not be losing weight for two weeks? 

Bearz
on 7/21/14 1:02 am

Sorry but u r right on track for stall. It should only last for a couple of days just hang in there. It will start back. U will go through several stalls so just stay on track and it will start. Good luck.

kim17
on 7/21/14 1:04 am - TX
VSG on 07/08/14

Thank you for replying.  It seems so early for a stall but glad to hear that it happens this soon.  So odd.  

califsleevin
on 7/21/14 1:09 am - CA

Actually, you are running a bit late for the classic third week stall, as the clock starts when you start the weight loss program rather than at time of surgery, so with your pre-op loss, you are four weeks into this (which assumes that our bodies follow a set schedule for such things, which they don't!)

Here is a great article that explains the physiology of what's happening at this stage -

http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.php

Keep doing what you are doing and let life happen. As a side note, once your body catches up and starts losing again, it will probably be at a somewhat slower pace, as that initial loss of glycogen is "cheap" and happens quickly, but once that has been depleted we start dipping into our fat reserves which burns more slowly than glycogen, but that's what we are here for - getting rid of that fat!

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

kim17
on 7/21/14 1:43 am - TX
VSG on 07/08/14

Good article.  Thank you for the link, it was very helpful for some insight. 

greensleeved
on 7/21/14 6:25 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

Oh my go****his makes so much sense. I couldn't figure out why at one week post-op I hadn't lost weight (was it fluid from surgery? a shock to my system? was I the only person on the planet this wouldn't work for?). Now I realize that was probably my 3 week stall!!! Now I'm down a total of 26 lbs since my pre-op diet, I'm 11 days post -op, and I couldn't be happier!

Thanks for your informative response!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Amber G.
on 7/21/14 1:17 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Completely normal! That early in the game, I think your body is trying to figure out what has happened to it. Just trying to catch up to the major major changes. Everyone is different. I personally have a stall every month. I wont loose for a week, sometimes 2 - then I will loose great for 2 weeks. I am a "stair step looser". It can be very very frustrating, but its temporary. You will start loosing again for sure! 

kim17
on 7/21/14 1:45 am - TX
VSG on 07/08/14

Normal is good.  Thank you for telling me it is normal, hard to process a stall and to be patient with it. 

happyteacher
on 7/21/14 2:37 am

Hang in there... your body has a lot to adjust to.  Measure yourself... you are likely losing inches. Measuring now will help you to weather future stalls too. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

kim17
on 7/21/14 6:09 am - TX
VSG on 07/08/14

Good tip.  I will do that. 

Most Active