Labs at almost 3 years

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/14 11:06 am

Not posting too much these days, but still reading regularly, and..... I wanted to share.

My 3 year labs were ordered a few months early this year. My center is undergoing a restructuring and my PCP is now ordering my labs in conjunction with the center. Irritates the hell out of me, but that's a whole story unto itself....

So, my copper level saga continues. No matter what I do the level goes up a bit, then plummets, then goes up, but still remains below normal, and plummets once again. My ceruplasmin level is low now, too. This is linked to the copper level - so not a surprise. The doctor is now beginning to think this is either a genetic issue that has gone unseen for my entire life (no one tests for copper levels...) or there is a very slim chance I might have Celiac Disease for which I will be tested this week. We shall see.

All other labs were "fine". HOWEVER, my B1 is through the roof and so is my vitamin A. So beginning tomorrow I will be taking vitamins like pretty much a normal person who has never had WLS. I'll be taking a Multi, a D3 and calcium and fish oil for my HDL. This is exactly what my PCP prescribes for all his patients! (I will also take a B1 three times per week and a B12 two times per week  - there's the WLS part!).

Blood sugar and A1c are AWESOME. My fasting glucose was a little higher than last time at 90. My A1c is holding steady at 5.1 to 5.3. I can dance a little jig about that! Cholesterol, not so awesome, but again, that's clearly a genetic issue since my cholesterol has been steadily increasing ever since I had WLS and I was taken off the statin. (My cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides all went UP during my 450 - 600 calorie phase of my post surgery diet. Clearly a genetic something going on there!)

I think my elevated B1 and vitamin A levels illustrate well the fact that VSG has very little nutritional mal-absorption component.

So, I'm healthy. Got VSG to thank for that.

Gwen M.
on 8/26/14 12:02 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Very interesting about the copper!  I had to switch to a copper-free multi due to high copper at my first labs post-op, I haven't had labs since, so I don't know if the change has helped.  Interesting that celiac could be responsible for you.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

diane S.
on 8/27/14 3:36 am

weird about the copper. maybe you are part bedlington terrier - don't they have some genetic disease related to copper?   and how are those pups doing? but they are in the ultra cute stage now.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Tracy D.
on 8/27/14 4:26 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Great numbers, Derek!  I'm interested to hear that you cholesterol went up post-op...mine has as well.  Not a genetic thing as far as I know since the rest of the lipid panel looks awesome (low triglycerides, high HDL).  My husband thinks it's because I'm eating a lot more eggs and meat products in general as well as full-fat dairy.  We'll see how it looks in another 6 months.  For now I'm consciously trying to limit the beef and cut back on eggs...and bacon.   Oh how I LOVE bacon!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

KathyA999
on 8/27/14 8:59 am

I think your husband's right, Tracy.  My cholesterol improved after WLS, but LDL is still on the high side, although overall metric and HDL are in the healthy range.  I think there's another component too, and that is, most of us (certainly me) eliminated or cut way back on grains, a significant source of fiber which binds with some of the lipids in the diet and removes them.  Just a theory.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 28 views