GERD??

Tealeyes
on 8/26/14 11:58 am
VSG on 11/12/14

I have a HIatal hernia.  Going to the surgeon for that is what started this journey for me.  He suggested that  since I needed the Hiatal surgery if I was ever considering the Weight loss surgery now is the time to do it.  I thought he was telling me that the Gerd would get better.  But now I just read that it will get worse.   Is that true? 

Queen-mum
on 8/26/14 12:28 pm

Hi there,

I found out I had a hiatal hernia when I need the upper GI prior to my sleeve.  The doc is going to fix it when he does my sleeve on the 2nd. I am lucky...my symptoms were pretty mild. Just occasional heartburn and that was it.  It's a two-fer that I can get it fixed and lose the weight.  I hope you get some relief from the GERD.

Queen-Mum-59 years old,  5'10", HW 307, SW 277

There is a reason that the windshield is bigger than the rear-view mirror.

Amy M.
on 8/26/14 2:06 pm, edited 8/26/14 2:08 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I also had a hiatal hernia repair when I got my sleeve done. I was taking prilosec every morning because my heartburn symptoms were unbearable before my surgery. My surgeon prescribed a 2 month supply of prilosec to take every day post op and then I'm supposed to stop. I haven't had any issues and I'm 4 weeks out. Supposedly because I had the hernia repair my heartburn days should be over. I hope the same goes for you! 

Tealeyes
on 8/27/14 9:48 am
VSG on 11/12/14

Thanks.....that sounds very incouraging...!

MacMadame
on 8/26/14 2:58 pm - Northern, CA

Mine got better. It was caused by the hiatal hernia.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Tracy D.
on 8/27/14 4:22 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It depends on whether or not your GERD is caused by the hernia or not.  If it's caused by the hernia then VSG may fix that.  If it's not caused by a hernia then VSG can actually make it much worse.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Tealeyes
on 8/27/14 8:50 am
VSG on 11/12/14

Well  i hope mine is cause by the hernia!

56sunShine14
on 8/27/14 9:03 am

Yes.  If you are just beginning to think about it, research ALL of them!  Make your own decision abut which one and do it if you want to.  I do NOT suggest the Lap Band for many reasons, just had mine removed.

But, the answer to your question is yes.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Tealeyes
on 8/27/14 9:50 am
VSG on 11/12/14

that is discouraging...darn

krabbyhermit
on 8/31/14 6:57 am

Tealeyes, I have had horrible GERD for many years and had to have a surgery many years ago to help it. Even after having the Nissan surgery for the GERD, I still had to take meds to control the acid. I also had a hiatal hernia which was repaired during my sleeve surgery. 

I had the sleeve done 6 months ago. The surgeon had to reverse my Nissan surgery to do the sleeve. I still have GERD, but can control it with meds once or twice a day. It's something I will probably have to live with the rest of my life because I produce too much stomach acid. 

Don't let that deter you from having the WLS. I'm down 60 pounds. So what if I have to take an over the counter acid reducer? It's well worth it!!! Believe me.

In all my days ahead I vow to be kind to myself. This shall also be a new and exciting experience. 

Most Active