I am having my Lap Band removed, getting Sleeve... anyone else?

Pangie82
on 8/26/14 11:46 am

Anyone had their lap band removed? How long did you wait before having a sleeve ? I am wondering what kind of recovery is there for a lap band removal? I am looking forward to getting this thing out. How long was your hospital stay? How long were you out of work? Was there much pain associated with the removal? How long till you could eat normal food again??

Allison L.
on 8/26/14 2:28 pm - Berkeley, CA

I had the band-to-sleeve revision. There really wasn't much pain involved, though I did suffer from nausea a good bit and there was a lot of bruising where the band was removed. I was in the hospital two nights and work was negligible as I work from home. I started eating pretty normal food at about four weeks out and now at eight weeks out, I can eat many if not most things. Good luck!

Calaska
on 8/26/14 3:03 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

Did you have any trouble with your insurance company?  My friend needs a revision, but her insurance company won't pay because of the "once in a lifetime" clause, even though a different company covered the band. 

~Jan

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

sharlit
on 8/26/14 7:35 pm - Northcote, Australia
VSG on 09/17/14 with

I am too. Surgery in 3 weeks. Good luck!

mmsmom
on 8/26/14 9:38 pm - Woburn, MA

i had band removed feb 14, day surgery - felt great, no pain at all and no real restrictions on eating after (if I remember correctly).  Then my doctor insisted on waiting until April 28 to do the sleeve. He is super cautious and could not be convinced to do the second surgery sooner.  I also had no trouble with insurance.

VSG on 04/28/2014

JAZZY150
on 8/27/14 10:14 am

I had my band out August 4, 2014.  In and out of the hospital the same day.  My Doctor makes all his revision wait three months to have the sleeve.  No problems, felt a ton better without the band!  I'm scheduled for the sleeve on November 4, 2014.  Good luck

Pangie82
on 8/27/14 10:43 am

I am hoping to have my Lap Band removed by October 1st.  I spoke to the people at the Barix Clinic and they said that want their patients to heal 3 months before they get the sleeve.  I am sooo looking forward to getting the band out.. and no more vomiting.  ugh.

I was also told that getting the sleeve wasn't much more painful that having the lap band put in. ???

Does anyone agree with that?

I had my Lap Band put in on a Thursday was back to work on Tuesday.. no problems.

Thank  you everyone!

JAZZY150
on 8/27/14 12:56 pm

Since I have a desk job, he said I could have surgery I can go back in a week.  No lifting over 25lbs.  He said if I go back within a week, I will more than likely work and come home and sleep.  He said I'd be really tried because only getting in around 200ish calories.  Dr.Smolik said the pain and incision are about the same as the band.

Allison L.
on 8/27/14 8:10 pm - Berkeley, CA

Re the insurance -- nope. No trouble. My surgeon reported that the band was failing and they approved it. This was Blue Shield of CA. 

Most Active