I've been approved for revision surgery.

kaniky
on 10/19/14 11:46 pm
RNY on 05/18/15

I need to decide between gastric sleeve and bypass. I’m leaning towards bypass. I would love to hear the pros and cons of having the VSG as well.  I do know that everyone’s journey is different, but I’m trying to be as informed as possible.

With the band, I get food stuck. Does that generally happen with the VSG?

If you had to do it over again, would you chose the VSG again?

Thanks so much!

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

Jules78
on 10/20/14 12:10 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

I'm only 5 1/2 months out but so far I've never gotten food stuck or thrown up with my sleeve.  I'm not saying it can't happen because I'm sure if you eat too fast or try to swallow too much food at once it could happen.  I love my sleeve.  It lets me know exactly when I've had enough and even one bite over that point and I'm uncomfortable.  

I chose the sleeve because I did not want to deal with malabsorption or the rerouting of my intestines.  I wanted to keep my original plumbing so to speak.  Plus I was a volume eater pre surgery and was always successful at weight loss when I cut my portions and made healthier choices, so I knew that I would benefit greatly from restriction alone.

youtube channel- silkiilocks

mickeymantle
on 10/20/14 4:03 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

over 1 year out never got stuck or sick , and I eat everything on my plan

friends with the rny all have some foods they can't eat things get stuck or make them sick

people with the vsg don't get that sickly look that many with the rny and ds get

I love my little green bean(my pet name for my sleeve)

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Gwen M.
on 10/20/14 10:21 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is what I've written about why I chose VSG:

The four WLS are - sleeve, gastric bypass (RNY), lapband, and duodenal switch. My insurance covers the first three, but not the DS.

I ruled out the lapband immediately because the only people I know who have had it are miserable or have needed it removed. The complication rate is atrocious and it only lasts for 10 years or so. It's billed as being a "reversible" surgery, but the damage it can cause, like from erosion into your esophagus, is permanent. So no lapband for me.

The choice really boiled down to RNY or VSG and I chose the sleeve for a number of reasons. (Even if DS had been an option, I would not have chosen it.)

1. I really like the simplicity of the sleeve. All it does is remove 85% of your stomach. That's it.
2. I dislike the idea of having my intestines rerouted.
3. The "good" malabsorption that the bypass gives (of fats) is a temporary thing that only lasts for a few years whereas the "bad" malabsorption (of vitamins and minerals) lasts for forever. That's not worth it to me.
4. The sleeve is restriction only, no malabsorption. This also means that I CAN eat anything at all. Fats and sugars won't screw up my bowels the way they can for the bypass. (Of course I still need to make healthy choices, but that's a choice, not something that my surgery requires.)
5. With the bypass, you're left with a remnant stomach that can't be scoped. That scares the crap out of me. First, the idea that I have this weirdly connected non-stomach but then to not be able to get it checked out with an endoscopy if there's a problem? Eek. Do not want.
6. My understanding is that complication rates with the bypass are significantly greater, especially longterm due to malabsorption. While I will be taking vitamins for the rest of my life, chances are that I won't end up in the hospital if I stop because the sleeve has no malabsorption involved.
7. For the most part (and there are exceptions) the people I know when the sleeve look and seem healthier than the people I know with the bypass. That's nothing scientific though.. just a gut feeling.
8. The sleeve leaves you with a fully functional pyloric valve at the bottom of your stomach whereas the bypass gives you a stoma which can stretch over time.

I've never had food get "stuck."

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views