Post-op Blues

lo_ri_p
on 1/23/15 3:58 am - Ocala, FL

I am about 7 weeks post-op.  I have had lots of stress this week.  Although I am happy to be losing again after my extended stall, I am frustrated with the recovery from surgery.  I can't exercise the way I want to.  I can't eat even the healthy foods I want to.  I have a granuloma in my navel that hurts.  I just moved and am limited as far as lifting and other related activities.  Just plain old tired of being post-op.  I am drinking the shakes and Gatorade and doing everything right.  I gave into temptation yesterday and stopped at Subway.  I got a sub that would not be considered too unhealthy but I got all the veggies on it that I have been missing.  That was the big mistake.  I ate slowly and small amount but still got sick.  I feel like crap today and don't even want eat at all.  Just having broth for lunch.  Has anyone else felt like this?

downhome
on 1/23/15 4:22 am

My plan called for no bread.......ever!

Tracy D.
on 1/23/15 4:29 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Lori - what I'm going to say is going to sound really harsh but it's truly coming from a caring place.  Here it goes: 

You are only 7 weeks out - there is no way in the world that you've suffered a significant or "extended stall" at this point.  It makes me CRAZY when brand new post-ops say they're coming off a stall.  You don't get to whine about that until you haven't lost a single ounce in 7 weeks.  Then we'll console you about that, okay?  

Of course you can't exercise the way you want - you're only 7 weeks post op!  I wasn't released to do any heavy exercise until 8 weeks.  Relax and walk as much as you can.  That's all you need to be worried about.  Exercise isn't how you're going to lose all the weight anyway.  The battle of the bulge is won at the kitchen table - pure and simple.  It is what you put in your mouth at every single meal.  Which brings me to this...

What in the HELL do you think you're doing eating Subway at 7 weeks post-op?  Are you kidding me??  Going from a liquid diet to this kind of food overnight is a recipe for disaster.  I wasn't cleared to eat any bread or hard, crunchy veggies until 3 months post-op for good reasons.  And even then I wouldn't have eaten bread because it's too high in carbs while still in weight-loss mode.  

At this point in time you're not supposed to be worrying about veggies.  It's another pet peeve of mine when morbidly obese post-op patients say "Oh, I'm really missing veggies!".  Really, because eating a ton of god-damned veggies did NOT get any of us to 100+ lbs. overweight.  

You're supposed to be eating protein first and getting all your water in.  That's what you need in order to lose fat rather than muscle.  You went through an awful lot and probably paid some significant money out-of-pocket to have this surgery.  Pull up your big girl panties and stick to the plan.  If you can't do it now, how are you going to manage in 7 months or 7 years from now?  Because believe me, it doesn't really get any easier.  Each stage has it's challenges and gets pretty tiresome.  

No more pity parties, Lori!  Get back on the horse and ride 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/15 4:36 am

you go girl, tell it like it is. I ride so I like your "get back on the horse and ride" Holla

Tara W.
on 1/23/15 4:41 am - Canada

"really miss veggies" hahaha  awesome!

Sleeved by Dr.Menezes at Red Deer Hospital July 16th 2015

HW 315 SW 262 CW 203-month 1 -27lbs, month 2 -7lbs, month 3 -9lbs, month 4 -8lbs, month 5 -10lbs, Month 6 -0lbs (thanks Christmas), Month 7 -8lbs,

Gwen M.
on 1/23/15 4:53 am
VSG on 03/13/14

All well said.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/23/15 5:42 am

^^^1000%

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

BrendaRae
on 1/23/15 4:31 am, edited 1/23/15 4:32 am
VSG on 01/13/15

I believe you are allowed 2 tbsp of protein and 2 tbsp of veggie or fruit. I dont see how a sub fits that category. 

You would have been better off stopping at Wendy's and getting a couple BITES of chili. 

No bread ever. Your stomach is the size of as magic marker... Why would you want to do that? Hope things get better for you, even chik fil a  serves a good soup if you are out and need something warm and soothing foir the tummy

Gwen M.
on 1/23/15 4:52 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Remember that every surgeon's plan is different.  The OP's plan might not be the same as yours at this point.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/15 4:53 am

In defense of innocent veggies everywhere (and their lovers),  It will be VERY hard for me to give them up (even if its only temporary).  I eat a green salad every single day and cooked veg at least twice a day.  I LOVE VEGGIES!  

Most Active