UGH, 1 month out, bowel issues

Spanky123
on 1/22/15 8:14 pm

Ever since surgery I have had problems with BM's. First I was constipated, then I started using Miralax and now have BM every other day or so. The problem is that EVERY time I go, I get severe cramping, like you do when you are sick with diarrhea. I get nauseous and sweaty, it's bad. But when I actually go, it's just a regular BM. Told my nurse practitioner, she says maybe my bowels are having a hard time recovering from anesthesia. I really hope this gets better as I move into later food stages, it's very difficult. Anyone else have this issue?

Jiliana2
on 1/22/15 9:43 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I had some major issues with BMs after surgery for a few months. Like you, I did the Miralax thing, but also like you, frequently I would get cramping and shakes and whatnot (again, like you are sick with diarrhea) but it's just a regular BM. I cut the Miralax in half and continued to take it every day, and I added some inulin fibre to my liquids and I added a stool softener as well because my stools were really hard.

It is tough for the first little while, but many of us have this sort of problem. We frequently have to experiment with the right mix of supplements in order to figure out what works for us. But you're doing the right thing by asking the nurse and getting suggestions or recommendations from them about options that may be right for you.

It does resolve. I'm almost at 1 year post-op and while I still take Metamucil and a stool softener, it's mostly to combat the extra iron I need to take. If I weren't taking the iron, I probably wouldn't need the stool softener or Metamucil. And I still keep Miralax in my cupboard for those days/weeks when nothing seems to work!

Wishing you lots of luck in figuring out what works for you.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Spanky123
on 1/24/15 5:20 am

I could handle the constipation if it weren't for these horrible cramps? What is with that?  THey way I feel when i go , you would think I would be having dysentery..lol.  But , my BMs are just soft stool. It's miserable. I bought some stool softeners, just not sure how they are different from Miralax, hoping they will be milder. Unfortunately, the last time I went, it was before i had to go  to work, I couldn't get away from the bathroom so I ended up taking some Immodium, now I think I'll be blocked up from that!  Later tonight I'm taking MOM, and my nurse said if I don't go in 6 hours take another small dose. BUt I can already tell by the way my gut feels, it's going to be painful. If it weren't for my bowel problems, I would be 100%.

Most Active