Trouble swallowing...please help

MrsReid
on 2/26/15 10:05 pm

I was sleeved on the 24th of Feb and everytime I swallow I get pain in my throat.  I am also having a problem with reflux and heartburn.  Is this normal 3 days post op?  Does it ever end?

LeapSecond
on 2/26/15 10:29 pm - AR

It is common to have soreness in your throat after surgery because of the tube they put in down your throat for breathing during surgery.  It can last a week or so. But I would let your surgeon know your symptoms. He might want to add or increase your PPI.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/26/15 11:00 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you don't feel well, call your surgeon; they deal with questions like this all the time and you should be getting advice straight from him/her.

That being said, you may have soreness from a breathing tube during anesthesia. Acid is very often a problem as well, and many VSG patients end up on an acid-reducer after surgery. I took one for about six months, and had to take Tums before exercising as well.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

thallnc
on 2/26/15 11:15 pm - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

I had the exact same things after I was sleeved on the 18th. It does get better each day. I had to sleep sitting up for 4 days after surgery because of the reflux but I'm taking the PPI the doctor gave me and it's gone now. Good luck!!!

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

clarkahill
on 2/27/15 5:54 am

I ended up drinking from a sippy cup & that helped a lot.  Also if you have the patience (which I didn't) popsicles work great to get your fluid in.  Also hot tea & chicken broth were much easier to get down (probably the easiest).  It does get easier...but then you go to the next phase...and that becomes difficult...everyone tells me it is the best decision they ever made...I am 4 weeks out and I am happy with my results of 25 lbs, but boy I am tired of feeling like something is stuck in my throat.

Queen_Q89
on 3/1/15 6:51 am - FL
VSG on 02/19/15

The same thing happened to me. I'm a week and three days post sleeve. Try taking smaller sips

Most Active