What do you all do to help prevent extra skin?

Starlene02
on 3/2/15 9:51 am
VSG on 11/11/15

I'm curious about what everyone does about extra skin? I know the basics.. stay hydrated, take your vitamins, exercise.. I'm wondering what people might do extra aside from plastics? I didn't use to take vitamins at all but I started taking them today just to get my system built up for after surgery and to get into the habit of it. I also bought some Coconut oil to lather over my skin and hair before my showers. I've read that works wonders. I also bought the Nerium products that are suppose to work miracles. I haven't received them yet so I haven't had the chance to test them out but I'm excited to try it! If anyone else has I'd love to know if they worked for you. Any tips on things that I should be doing as I lose the weight would be great. I decided to start doing things for my skin even before my surgery so that maybe I could improve my chances.

If you feel like quitting, think of why you started.

KathyA999
on 3/2/15 9:59 am

I didn't do a dang thing.  How much extra skin we end up with is a function of amount of weight lost, genetics, and age, mostly.  In my case, I had surgery at 60, and the cause was already lost, LOL.  That said, the things you're doing for your skin can't hurt; they'll certainly make for soft skin.  Will probably not not help with the "extra" skin issue, unfortunately.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Starlene02
on 3/2/15 10:19 am
VSG on 11/11/15

Thanks for the reply. I'd still like to know what others may have tried. I'm really hoping this Nerium product helps. The before and after pictures the lady I'm buying from posts are just amazing! Supposedly a plastics surgeons office posted the one of the tummy. I wish I knew how to post pictures here so I could share them but I'm still new to this. It's expensive though so I'm going to be really bummed if it doesn't do what everyone claims! I read on one page where someone always kept her mid section compressed. I'm not sure if that would work or not but I just keep thinking how uncomfortable that would be while healing from a surgery.

Starlene02
on 3/2/15 10:25 am
VSG on 11/11/15

Not sure if this will work since I just copy and pasted but here's a couple of the before and after pictures my sales lady posted.'How did this lady get these results? Place your votes! 
A) Tummy Tuck
B) Photoshop
C) Other''As with dieting and everything else, men seem to get results faster! Ugh! 󾌩
Message me today to get started OR check out my website:
www.amandacrick.nerium.com'

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/2/15 2:15 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I am super duper skeptical that those photos are not doctored, or that the first patient actually had plastic surgery. The company has actually been sued for using "before and after" photos from people who've never even used the stuff!

Though the website claims to have done a clinical trial, that "trial" only had 4 patients so they have zero scientific proof that this stuff does anything.

Looking at the ingredients, there is nothing "magical" in this stuff. Caffeine, willow bark (AKA asprin), and green tea are in all sorts of lotions that may perk up your skin a touch, but there's no way it's going to magically shrink down fistfuls of loose skin like that. Oleander  plant is one of the other ingredients, and it's known to be poisonous (albeit in larger doses than you'd get in lotion).

Check the reviews online, this is plain old MLM. Either posters adore it (and it looks like they haven't used it for long when writing their reviews), or they give it 1 star because it's a scam that doesn't work.

Bottom line? You're wasting your money with ANY lotion, potion, or cream to tighten loose skin. At $80/bottle, I'd say this stuff is quite a scam.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Starlene02
on 3/2/15 3:50 pm
VSG on 11/11/15

I'm honestly not sure either way. I figured it was worth a try. If I wasted my money we'll know soon and at the very least I'll be able to tell my husband I did my best to avoid plastic surgery. Lol ;)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/2/15 11:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

$80+ seems like a lot to waste, especially when there are reports of people having a hard time cancelling their renewal orders. But if you want to give it a shot, more power to you.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 3/3/15 1:50 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'd put the money in a healthcare savings account, let the interest accrue tax free, and put it toward plastics. It would make a pretty sizeable dent.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Tracy D.
on 3/3/15 2:35 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I did waste my money and sent the product back pretty quickly.  Nothing in this stuff is going to help you avoid excess skin or plastic surgery.  It may make the skin you have look better - but you will not get the results that you're seeing on the first model with the excess tummy skin.  No way, no how.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Starlene02
on 3/3/15 3:22 am
VSG on 11/11/15

I ordered this product last week but haven't received it yet. There's a 30 day money back guarantee so I figured it couldn't hurt to try it out. I'm sure I'll still need plastic surgery. Thanks for that suggestion Grim. It would have only been a $70 a month purchase and if it doesn't go towards skin care it'll probably go towards blacktopping my driveway! If I can't get out of my mud pit of a driveway, saving for surgery will do no good! lol At the very least I'm hoping maybe I'll at least save myself from having to buy clothes as I lose weight since I kept sizes the whole time I was gaining the weight. I have sizes all the way back to before my daughter was born almost 13 years ago!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views