HELP getting back on track

kb64
on 3/20/15 11:43 pm - Clarksville , TN

I had surgery almost 5 yrs ago and hysterectomy 3 yrs ago, since the hyster I had gained 31 lbs, I'm now down about 7 of that but am so disappointed, frustrated, so many emotions about the wt gain. How do I go back and start over, any recommendations are appreciated. I still have good restriction, not like in the beginning but I'm happy with it. I know many of my calories come from fluids, starbucks which I'm giving up, sweet teas but not overly sweet, but I need a way to start over and feel lost on how to do that. Thanks in advance for any help.

HW 270/ SW 255/ CW 210/GW 180

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/21/15 12:25 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I don't know what you are drinking at Starbucks -- but unless it's black coffee, drinks there range from 200 to 600 calories.  And sweet tea?  Um, I guess it depends on the size and amount of sugar -- but most start at 150 calories in a small size.  First thing I would do is stop drinking my calories.  

I would guess that if you are drinking calories, you are probably misjudging the actual amount you are eating in the day, too.  I would spend the next week honestly logging everything that you eat in MyFitness Pal or a similar program.  Don't change anything or neglect to log -- so that you can honestly see what is going in.  That should give you a good idea where mistakes are happening and give you a clear idea what you need to cut/handle to reach your goal.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

White Dove
on 3/21/15 12:52 am - Warren, OH

Use My Fitness Pal to track every calorie.  Make your own sweet tea with Splenda.  Get a FitBit and start tracking your exercise.  Go to If It Fits Your Macros and find out how much you are burning and what to eat to get back to your goal weight.  Give yourself time.  Losing 24 pounds will take about six months.  It is better to do it that way than to take it off in a few weeks and then gain it right back. 

You also need to get on the scale every morning and know exactly how much you weigh.  It is the only way to stay on top of your weight loss and out of denial. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GooseGirl
on 3/21/15 4:11 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

The basics for me are:

1) Avoid liquid calories (with the exception of protein shakes)

2) Dense protein first, then veggies then carb if I have room

3) Measure and log everything. 

4) Drink 80 - 100 oz of water per day

5) Protein goal is 100 grams/day

6) Move at least 30 minutes 5 days/week

7) Vitamins every single day

Your goals or plan might be different. I'm still in the initial losing phase and so I can't really offer experience from a maintenance perspective. That phase is all just theory to me right now. 

Gwen M.
on 3/21/15 5:02 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you don't already, track every single thing you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal.  From there, work on getting back to your basics.  Here are mine, yours might be slightly different.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions, log everything consumed
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

VSG on 06/12/13

^^ awesome rules to live by. It's just this simple. When I think, "uh, scale is climbing, what to do?" It comes back to one or more of these.

laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/21/15 11:32 am - OH

What Kat and the others said: stop drinking your calories and start measuring and tracking your food intake.  Then, focus on protein and limiting carbs.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

kb64
on 3/21/15 1:43 pm - Clarksville , TN

thanks everyone fOr the advice. I had forgotten the rules of protein veges then carbs actually. 

HW 270/ SW 255/ CW 210/GW 180

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views