Tips/Advice from a 7 year Sleeve Veteran

LngRedRose
on 3/22/15 11:41 pm, edited 3/22/15 11:43 pm

So I had my surgery, July 2008. I lost 110 lbs in 9 months. I stopped short of my goal by 20 lbs. In the past 3 years, I started getting lax. I gained back 60 lbs. I got discouraged and depressed. I started researching revisions and the DS. I have read for months about the DS and I had an appt for tomorrow to schedule the revision. Last week I decided to go back to the basics and just try this one more time. I cut out all of the carbs and crap I was eating and I started tracking what I was putting in my mouth. I am thankful, happy and so excited to say, I have dropped 10 lbs.

Let me say here.. the surgery does NOT give you the okay to eat anything that you want. I have heard folks say I eat anything I want and I haven’t gained a pound back. I truly find that hard to believe. I am not saying that you can’t ever have that slice of birthday cake… I am saying you can’t have that slice of birthday cake every.single.day and expect to lose or expect to not gain weight.

I was told from the beginning.. this surgery is a tool… and ONLY a tool to help you lose weight but you have to do your part too. That is the truth. The honest to God truth.

So for the next 3 months, I am going to do my part of eating right, exercising more and drinking water like I am supposed to and see where it takes me. At the end of the three months, if I know that I have given it EVERYTHING within me.. and I have been honest and true about the food I am digesting, I will make a decision if I want a revision. I cannot justify a revision for ME if I am not making THIS tool work. I can’t keep going under the knife to make weight loss work for me for the moment. This has to be a lifelong commitment.

So for all of the newbies out there… weight gain is real. It does happen (more times than not) and to keep the weight off… you have to work this tool. You can’t get to goal and decide to eat everything in sight (even in small portions). The tool we have, has failed some people (rarely), but most of the time, WE fail the tool.

Stacy_WLS
on 3/22/15 11:58 pm

Great post!  I know maintenence is hard.  During the losing phase people are very supportive of our choices.  Now I get almost the opposite -- you don't need to lose weight, have some cake or fried crap or whatever.  Yes a taste here and there is OK, but those can not become our daily routine.  

Good luck over the next few months.  I'm very eager to hear how it goes for you!  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

LngRedRose
on 3/23/15 12:09 am

Thanks Stacy.  I have learned this past week since I let carbs go... I do not crave them.  Last week was fairly easy for me... maybe it is because my mind is finally in the game! :)

iloveravens
on 3/23/15 12:11 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Thanks for posting this.  I found it interesting that you wrote, "I have heard folks say I eat anything I want and I haven't gained a pound back." I have seen the complete opposite on this forum.  Generalizing here...but:  Half of the posts here seem like "Yay, I'm having my surgery soon!" and it seems the other half are "Help, had surgery xxx months ago and gained back xxx" The struggle is real and it definitely keeps us newbies in check.  

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

LngRedRose
on 3/23/15 12:17 am

Yeah... the truth is most of us that started eating carbs and gaining are freaking out now.  Some just let it go til they are back at the same place they were before surgery.  Last week, I felt like if I don't get a hold of the now... I never will.  I pray for will power daily... and I am logging everything that goes between my lips!!!

Grim_Traveller
on 3/23/15 12:44 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Fantastic post. I get so tired of those in complete denial and insist their surgery failed, and the only way out is a revision. You recognized the behaviors you needed to fix, and are doing it.

You should be really proud. It has to be very hard after 7 years to make these adjustments and do the hard work. I hope you stick around and keep sharing.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

LngRedRose
on 3/23/15 1:00 am

Thanks Grim!  I will definitely keep updating.  It is so important for the ones coming behind me.  :)  Thanks for your post.  I have to do this... no choice.  I do not want additional surgery... I just want to be healthy.

ald731
on 3/23/15 1:45 am
VSG on 04/07/14

Thank you SO much for posting this. I'm almost at one year post-op and hope to be in maintenance at some point this year. I have no plans to re-introduce grains and sugar into my diet, even in maintenance (for weight control but also how they make me feel), but I want to keep that healthy fear of regain to keep me on the straight and narrow. :)

Congratulations on the weight loss, past and present, and I wish you all the best! Hopefully, a revision won't be necessary!!

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

LngRedRose
on 4/2/15 4:37 am

Thanks so much!  I am hopeful that I can lose this weight with the tool I already have in place!

Hugs, Karen R. (Mom to TWELVE incredible kids)
Louisiana 

VeraG
on 3/23/15 2:09 am - Bonner Springs, KS

Great Post & well said!

Living until I die!

Most Active