New, undereducated or having problems losing

lwj
on 4/19/15 12:58 am

Hi, I had my sleeve 6 weeks ago and am doing well but have had a lot of questions. I found with my diabetes over the years, education does not come easily via the medical establishment. One thing I have wondered is why the "restriction"; helping us eat less calories, was just not enough for this since I didn't want to return to old habits of "dieting" and "rebounding" etc.  I found a post from someone named Frisco on the pyloric valve that was great. Just put in Frisco up where the magnifying icon is and you will find recipes and information.

THANK YOU FRISCO FOR TAKING YOUR TIME TO ANSWER.People like me who are just now having the surgery are benefiting long after you wrote.

ipray
on 4/19/15 1:28 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Amen to that!  I have been following Frisco both pre and post surgery. He has excellent advice and wonderful recipes as well! I am so glad that you have given him the credit that he deserves. I would like to join in and also thank the many other vets like him that have given great advice, but have included compassion as well. Thank you for posting your praise! 

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/15 3:02 am

What are you wondering about restriction? The restriction does help us eat fewer calories - especially early out - if you stick to a plan that has you eating dense protein first, vegetables second and any other types of carbohydrates third. The idea is that you fill up first on the meat, take a few bites of vegetable and there will be no room for anything else in your early days.

I am three years out from my VSG and am able to eat about a cup by volume of solid foods - meat, vegetables, whole grain starches, fruits.

I am able to eat more if the food is a semi liquid or a highly processed food that might be considered a "bad" food for weight loss.

You are right, you will need to make a paradigm shift in how you approach your eating and thoughts about dieting. At three years out and having had some regain, I am working daily on coming to terms with the whole diet mentality concept vs. eating for health and nutrition and out of respect for my body.

Feel free to ask very specific questions here. Many people will offer their opinions and you will find some replies resonate and make sense and others won't. The nice thing about a forum like this is you can take what you like and leave what you don't!

Also, I know Frisco in real life and he is a kind and caring man who truly wants to help others be successful. He has been a great friend to me during this journey.

ipray
on 4/19/15 4:12 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Kairk is another vet that is very helpful!  Take any advice he has to offer as well, as he is very sincere and very insightful.

Djallen3424
on 4/19/15 1:32 pm - Allen, TX

Hi. Am new to OH. I am almost two years out and have lost 65 lbs. from my surgery date. Just need some feedback on some of my issues. Have only lost 4 lbs in the last 4 months. My doctor quit taking my insurance before I was finished with all my visits. I haven't been in any supports groups. Recently found out about OH from my dentist's office assistant. Besides that, haven't talked with anyone who has had surgery. Just trying to get started and involved here.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/20/15 4:36 am
RNY on 08/05/19

There are TONS of helpful vets on the board. Rather than searching for specific posters, I'd suggest just running a search on the topic you're looking for ("stall," "water," "protein") to get a broad range of helpful opinions.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active