Give it to me straight...

paragondream
on 4/21/15 4:17 am

Alright my lovelies, I have a comment/question that I am not quite sure how to word...I am a few weeks out from getting the money I need to have the sleeve, which brings reality sharply into focus.

Like all of you, I'm sure, I have done loads of research, watched Youtube videos, and looked at before and afters. What strikes me the most is the change that happens to the people in their demeanor, like they "know" something I don't. I have often felt that this is a great option, but am terrified, almost like "it will probably work for everyone else, but not for me..." Which is either really bad self-esteem, or the one thing telling me the truth.

I want to make the right decision for myself, but I feel it is almost impossible as I cannot fully understand the reality of those living on the other side. I know it isn't easy and I want to give the decision the respect it deserves.

Can anyone throw a rope back to those of us who are on this side? Some glimmer of real life that you have to deal with? What is the REAL nitty-gritty of life after sleeve?

Thanks you!

~Paragondream

Pamela M.
on 4/21/15 4:32 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

Okay . . . honestly . . . it's been a very easy road for me.  I am just a few days short of 8 months post-op.  I have lost 74 lbs. - 59 years old (have 12 more to lose before goal).  I had been obese for the past 25 years and for me, I feel that my life is finally back to normal - I never excepted my excess weight as my normal.  I HATED being miserable, tired and heavy.  That being said, everyone is different.  I didn't struggle with weight issues until after having 3 children and an unhappy marriage which contributed to using food as comfort and ended up 100 lbs. overweight with several comorbidity issues.  I didn't have any problems with surgery (in hospital 1 night) or recovery - went back to my desk job 10 days post-op.  I have not been sick or in pain -- emotionally or physically.  I do not miss my horrible eating habits - which consisted of LOTS of sugar/snacks/soft drinks and huge plates of food at meal time.  I don't miss ANY of this.  On the contrary, my mood is consistent - no sugar highs and lows.  Did I say, I don't miss ANY of this?  My new body and the places it can go now and the things it can do are SO MUCH FUN.  I have nothing negative to stay about the surgery or the results.  This is my "glimmer of real life" and I hope that when you are a few months post-op you can sing the same song.  My adult life has never been better and this is just the beginning for me.  If you follow your surgeon's plan/instructions, you will NOT be the exception - you WILL succeed.  However, please know that you do have to have a deep desire to change and be willing to follow the plan.  Best wishes.

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

robinreinhardt
on 4/21/15 6:15 am

Pamela,

Thank you for your post. I am 60 and had Rny 4 months ago. I totally share your perspective. When I was obese, that was all I thought about. When was my next meal of carbs and sugar. It's such a relief now to know what protein I am going to have. Life is way better. Good luck to you and bless you.

Robin

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/21/15 4:39 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Life is a balance and series of choices.  There are things I've given up or limited (bread, pasta, starchy food, alcohol), but I'd have the surgery seven days in a row to feel as great as I do now.

The head hunger does not go away.  My relationship with food has been a struggle for many years, so thinking that the surgery will make my compulsive behaviors magically disappear is futile.  Therapy is a BIG part of my recovery from SMO. 

The good news is that I don't feel like I'm on a "diet."  This is truly a lifestyle change for me that I feel I can continue for the rest of my life.  I'm not at goal yet, and from what the vets say, maintenance is where the real work begins.

It will work for you if you work for it.  That means you have to change the way you've dealt with emotions and food for years.  I tend to be a creature of habit, and keeping myself in a routine helps to make the process easier.  I flipped out over the holidays and gained seven pounds in two weeks.  It's very easy to revert back to bad behaviors.  But your sleeve is still there.  It will continue to restrict your food intake and you can still lose weight.

The first couple of months after surgery are very challenging.  I tell everyone that you will have to just endure it, white knuckle it and it will be over eventually.  Support groups such as OH are very helpful to keep grounded daily on what you should be doing.  Tracking what you eat using My Fitness Pal is a dose of reality and keeps you honest about what you're eating.  

Life is so much better now.  If I never lose another pound, I'm so grateful that I committed to WLS.  

Hope that helps.  It's worth it  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

ElizaM
on 4/21/15 8:35 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Thank you for saving me a lot of typing! This is everything I would say and then some. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/21/15 8:49 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Have I told you lately how amazing you're doing?  I'm so happy for you!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Tracy D.
on 4/23/15 12:45 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

^^^  what she said 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Jamie L.
on 4/21/15 4:43 am - Grover Beach, CA
VSG on 06/02/14

For me it is the best thing I have ever done for myself.  I think the most important thing for me was to decide if I was mentally ready to stop eating when I was full (after just a few bites). Now that I have done it, I kind of enjoy being the one that can take a few bites and be "stuffed" and push the plate away. 

One of the best side effects of the sleeve is NOT feeling hungry (I just feel empty). The hard part is getting over that "you have to clean your plate" syndrome and when your "Brain" wants to eat (but your tummy has had enough).  But I got over that pretty quick, the yucky feeling from over eating nipped that right away.

Grab that "rope" and come on over, the grass IS greener on the "skinny" side of the fence! 

VSG with Dr. David Thoman on 6/02/2014, Age 54, Height 5'7",  Highest Weight 280,  Pre-Surgery Weight 240, Current Weight 152.8 (4/20/2015)  Next Goal 140 | Total Weight Lost 87 lbs.

Nothing tastes as good as THIN feels!!!

mmsmom
on 4/21/15 5:05 am - Woburn, MA

Good points:  You get full fast and can't eat around it...I feel nauseated if i eat high sugar/fat foods which discourages it....the weight comes off quickly....you feel wonderful....you can move....in time, you can eat almost anything, in small portions.  Clothes shopping is soooooooooooooo fun again!

Bad points:  once in a rare while I miss a soda, sub, plate of pasta, etc.  I get over it in about 2 minutes when I look in the mirror... I still don't think the small portion of food on my plate will be enough... it's more than enough.  I still don't think the size 6 pants will fit - they fit and are roomy... One regret - that I couldn't have had this in my 20s!

VSG on 04/28/2014

momsy55
on 4/21/15 11:10 pm - ME

Sometimes I still put a little too much on my plate, because, as you said, I think what I can truly eat won't be enough.  It was a nice eye opener the other night when my 16 year old daughter looked at my relatively small plate of food and said "you're not going to be able to finish that", and she was right!  I left quite a bit and it was fine.  I even smiled and agreed with her when she got smug!  LOL

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Most Active