GERD and VSG = Concerned

pec21
on 9/26/15 12:51 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

I just read a topic on the WLS forum about the sleeve not being a good fit for those who have GERD.

My surgeon knows I have reflux.  Why would he suggest the sleeve?  Has anyone here had GERD before getting VSG?

boudiceatx
on 9/26/15 1:13 pm

I had GERD before surgery, and since the hiatal hernia repair plus the sleeve I have had it only once in the early days following surgery.  I haven't had any problems since. I suspect my GERD was related to the hernia I had.  I don't know how common my results are, though.

pec21
on 9/27/15 2:10 am
VSG on 12/02/15

Thank you.  I just found out, through a pre-op test, that I also have a hiatal hernia.  I meet with my surgeon this week and I will ask him about this.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/26/15 1:44 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I also had gerd, but it was very mild & likely caused by the hiatal hernia that was repaired during surgery. I haven't had any problems since then. You should ask your Dr why he suggests the vsg, did you have any tests done?, maybe he thinks its caused by a hernia too?

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

pec21
on 9/27/15 2:11 am
VSG on 12/02/15

Thank you.  I will ask him this week when I meet with him again.

Maria27
on 9/26/15 1:45 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Surgeons tend to think a long the lines of well I'll try this surgery first, and I can always do a revision surgery to RNY if the patient develops terrible GERD and becomes at risk for cancer of the esophagus. They are not the ones who have to live with the side effects, buy the drugs to control the side effects, suffer through the recovery from surgery, or pay the medical bills. In this way, their interests are not aligned with yours. Personally, I wanted my first surgery to be my one and only surgery, so I wasn't willing to take that chance or be on an acid reducer for the rest of my life. Some surgeons are just on the sleeve bandwagon right now and have gone to recommending it to everyone. Just like some surgeons still recommend RNY to everyone.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

pec21
on 9/27/15 2:16 am
VSG on 12/02/15

Thank you.  My surgeon ruled out RNY because he thought I'd be at greater risk of developing kidney stones from calcification.  Since I already have one low functioning kidney, he felt the sleeve was the better choice.  

Like you, I want only one surgery - the right surgery for me.  I will talk with him this week.  Perhaps I am not a good candidate for WLS.  That would be very disheartening.

Tracy D.
on 9/29/15 12:45 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The key is finding out if your current GERD is being caused by a hiatal hernia.  If the answer is "yes", then VSG and hernia repair should fix you right up.  

I didn't have GERD before surgery but I have issues with it now and have to take a PPI for it.  I'd rather deal with this than the 100 extra lbs. I used to have and all the problems that came along with it.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Zee Starrlite
on 9/29/15 1:36 pm

Some surgeons actually care about their patients!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

happyteacher
on 9/26/15 2:46 pm

I did, and lots of it. My surgeon fixed a hiatel hernia during surgury and no issues with acid at all for a long time. This past summer all of a sudden lots of acid, so dealing with that now and taking 40 mg of a ppi daily. Overall though, it was the right path for sure. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views