? ABOUT RUNNY NOSE AND GAS

psren13
on 9/25/15 9:29 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

Ok Vets.. (to those that experienced this) how long does the runny nose last?  I am almost 7 months out and (like I have read) quite a few of you have this situation.  Whenever I eat or even drink my nose starts running.  It IS a good indicator of fullness but even when I drink?  LOL.. Is this a forever thing or will it pass?  Also, I have gas (yes farts) all the time.  Is this also temporary or a forever thing?  I see my surgeon October 5th after I get back home from California.  I do use GasX at times, seems to help a little.  

Tracy D.
on 9/25/15 11:17 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My nose runs all the time after I eat whether or not I eat to fullness.  I was told that it has to do with stimulation of th vagus nerve.  The vagus nerve runs through the stomach and is more easily stimulated now that the stomach is so much smaller.  So in my case it appears to be a "forever" thing. 

I don't know that gas issues are worse than before.  I do know for certain that if I eat simple carbs it seems to be worse 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/25/15 11:59 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I started taking a probiotic (Culturelle) because the gas was so annoying.  It seems to help, except when I eat carbs.  Then man the battle stations because it's not safe for man or beast.

I don't seem to have the running nose problem except when I eat too much.  Then I also get the hiccups.  Both things I prefer to avoid.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

toddwho23
on 9/25/15 1:58 pm

Oh my, the gas. I've never had it like this before and, like you, I'm afraid it won't ever ease up. Not only does it create awful (and stinky) room-clearers, I also have horrific side and back gas that rumbles and hurts but never escapes. Gas X is a godsend. 

zann50
on 9/25/15 2:51 pm

I am 36wks post VSG and I do have occasional hiccups if I eat too fast or too much.  Gas is not a problem.  I started on probiotics the week after surgery...not sure if that is the reason.  And, I use Miralax daily.  I have missed out on the runny nose thank goodness!  I used to be plagued with seasonal allergies.  They same to have disappeared.  Yea!

Neesie57
on 9/25/15 2:56 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I thought I was the only one!  I get the hiccups EVERY time I eat too fast, and I burp if I eat one bite too many.  No more gas than before surgery, but my stomach is always trying to readjust to the new normal.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Iam_with_the_Band
on 9/26/15 2:37 am

I had the runny nose with my Band and still with my sleeve. It can last your entire life. It's your vagus nerve.  I also have the involuntary yawn and the hiccup/burp hybrid sound. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

White Dove
on 9/26/15 5:26 am - Warren, OH

The runny nose is for life but the gas can be controlled.  Make sure you are not taking in any sugar alcohols.  I could not find the culprit and finally read the label on my Celebrate vitamins.  They are sweetened with sugar alcohols.  I now take Opurity and am going to go the patch once my current supply is done.

I use Beano if I am going to eat things like beans and I also keep Gas-x strips handy. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active