What's it like after the weight loss?

cappy11448
on 11/12/15 5:47 am

Hi All,

I'm celebrating my 2.5 year surg-iversary, and wanted to post about what it is like after the weight loss.  I don't get many chances to post new topics now, because maintenance is pretty uneventful.  But I thought newbies might be interested in hearing what it is like after the weight loss.

The most important things in my life did not change.  My family and my close friends are still there for me.  My work, productivity and the stresses of life have not changed much.  I still struggle to find relevance and meaning in my daily existence.  But I guess that's the nature of life - at least for me .

The biggest changes are in my mobility and my energy.  My hubby and I have been traveling twice a year to make up for all that time when I was too heavy to enjoy travel.  I can take the strenuous tours and keep up with the best of them.  We've gone to Budapest, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Scandinavia, Russia, Poland, Estonia and Berlin in the past three years, and we are off to New Zealand and Australia this winter.  I love it that I can travel.  When I was close to 400 pounds, I had resigned to never seeing the world.  Now I can do it.

Another big change is in how I feel about my body.  I now love clothing shopping.  I like dressing nicely, and like the way I look (other than being 67 and looking grandmotherly!) 

Finally, I eat much less, and I cook more.  I could easily gain weight again if I didn't work at maintenance as hard as I worked at weight loss.  I I view maintenance as just another plan with a few more calories and a bit more flexibility.  I sometimes give in to the treats, especially at parties and events.  And as long as I get right back on plan, its ok.  I believe obesity is a disease, and weight loss surgery is a treatment.  It is not a cure.  I will be fighting obesity my entire life, but with the surgery I have a fighting chance.  I could never have done it with the WLS.

I spend a lot more energy cooking now than I used to.  I need interesting and healthy foods to help me resist the forbidden foods.  I can tell myself, "You cannot have that pizza or lasagna, or chocolate cake, but you can have some buffalo chicken or crack slaw, or..."  This helps me resist the carbs and high calorie foods.

And so I continue to watch my food intake.  I continue to come to OH to get inspiration from you all.  I love to see your NSV and SV's, and share the joy of overcoming obesity with you all

Keep posting and sharing your journeys.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

zann50
on 11/12/15 6:06 am, edited 11/12/15 10:10 am

Hi All,

I'm celebrating my 2.5 year surg-iversary, and wanted to post about what it is like after the weight loss.  I don't get many chances to post new topics now, because maintenance is pretty uneventful.  But I thought newbies might be interested in hearing what it is like after the weight loss.

The most important things in my life did not change.  My family and my close friends are still there for me.  My work, productivity and the stresses of life have not changed much.  I still struggle to find relevance and meaning in my daily existence.  But I guess that's the nature of life - at least for me .

The biggest changes are in my mobility and my energy.  My hubby and I have been traveling twice a year to make up for all that time when I was too heavy to enjoy travel.  I can take the strenuous tours and keep up with the best of them.  We've gone to Budapest, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Scandinavia, Russia, Poland, Estonia and Berlin in the past three years, and we are off to New Zealand and Australia this winter.  I love it that I can travel.  When I was close to 400 pounds, I had resigned to never seeing the world.  Now I can do it.

Another big change is in how I feel about my body.  I now love clothing shopping.  I like dressing nicely, and like the way I look (other than being 67 and looking grandmotherly!) 

Finally, I eat much less, and I cook more.  I could easily gain weight again if I didn't work at maintenance as hard as I worked at weight loss.  I I view maintenance as just another plan with a few more calories and a bit more flexibility.  I sometimes give in to the treats, especially at parties and events.  And as long as I get right back on plan, its ok.  I believe obesity is a disease, and weight loss surgery is a treatment.  It is not a cure.  I will be fighting obesity my entire life, but with the surgery I have a fighting chance.  I could never have done it without the WLS.

I spend a lot more energy cooking now than I used to.  I need interesting and healthy foods to help me resist the forbidden foods.  I can tell myself, "You cannot have that pizza or lasagna, or chocolate cake, but you can have some buffalo chicken or crack slaw, or..."  This helps me resist the carbs and high calorie foods.

And so I continue to watch my food intake.  I continue to come to OH to get inspiration from you all.  I love to see your NSV and SV's, and share the joy of overcoming obesity with you all

Keep posting and sharing your journeys.

Carol

Tink3125
on 11/12/15 7:37 am
VSG on 12/01/15

Crack slaw?

Tracy D.
on 11/12/15 8:46 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Mmmmm, delicious - it's what's for lunch today!  Here's a link to the recipe: 

Crack Slaw Recipe

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

SweetT1
on 11/12/15 9:11 am

Thank you for posting!! :)

Luvmygs
on 11/12/15 7:51 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Thank you Carol. I LOVED reading your post. Simply true facts about our new life. You got it and will definitely continue to be successful. Thank you. Christine

cappy11448
on 11/12/15 2:51 pm

Thank you for your kind words.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

Luvmygs
on 11/13/15 8:43 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Carol, I hope you don't mind me sharing your post with the ladies at work that have had WLS. Christine

cappy11448
on 11/13/15 8:45 am

I'm honored.

blessings,

Carol

NerdySquirrel
on 11/12/15 8:07 am

You are such an inspiration!  I can not wait until I'm better able to travel and have the ability to keep up!  Also, I made your crack slaw last night and it was great!!  Thank you for posting your recipes!!

HW: 378 | 1st Consult: 363 | Surgery: 339 | CW: 182

"We all have two lives. The second begins when we realize we only have one."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views