Portion sizes

michele1
on 1/22/16 11:52 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since i've posted and I am sure this has been asked before but I have a need to know lol!

I am a little over six months out and was wondering about portion sizes. I guess it will vary a little based on sleeve size but I seem to be able to eat more than before but stop myself.

Now I measure and weigh my food but I seem less satisfied and get hungrier earlier sometimes even shortly after I eat (not hungry like before but unfortunately a little). I also seem to be able to eat every type of food, don't need to keep the bites real small (bigger than I could with the band) and don't have to eat slow. I love not having the issues I had with the band and are enjoying the sleeve, maybe I'm not eating enough? It would help to know the portions of others or what is normal 6 months out. 

My surgeons plan is protien first, then veggies then if room carbs which makes sense knowing how the pyloric valve works (awesome article by the way). 

I weigh out 2 oz of solid meat beef, chicken ect...if something like chicken salad or chili a 1/2 cup....more good advice here was to under eat the sleeve but am I eating too little, does veggies or carbs push the solid protein through the valve like it did with the band opening?

So scared to increase portion size, don't want to stretch my sleeve....two surgeries are enough.

Any advice would be appreciated, I also have stopped losing .....although I am only 10-15 pounds from my goal.

Thanks,

Michele

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

acbbrown
on 1/22/16 12:14 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I'm definitely not an expert in this area but...

i was was eating closer to 4oz meat at 6mo but I also wasn't eating any carbs or veggies at that time either.

veggies and carbs won't push dense protein through the pyloric valve.   

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

michele1
on 1/23/16 9:57 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Thanks for the reply, I am getting about 4 oz total but feel I could eat more. Glad to hear that veggies and carbs won't push solid proteins through, I had that issue with the band.

White Dove
on 1/22/16 1:06 pm - Warren, OH

Track everything and see what your calorie intake actually is.  The only way you will ever control your weight is by eating the correct amount of calories for your weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

michele1
on 1/23/16 10:04 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Thanks for the reply, I used to range between 600-800 calories but it's been creeping up and the loss has stopped. If I drop back I get hungry, will figure it out so glad to have the support!

Spencerella
on 1/22/16 1:20 pm, edited 1/22/16 5:19 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I've always used 3 oz dense protein as my portion size. When I was six months out I didn't always have room to eat any veg and if I did it was just a forkful or two. Even at more than three years out I still eat three oz protein and then closer to a half cup of veggies. I rarely eat other carbs as part of a meal. If I did it would likely just a bite. Restriction is such a gift. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

michele1
on 1/23/16 10:09 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Thanks for the reply, It helps to know what others food intake looks like, I might try to up the solid protein to 3 oz it might help.

poplargreys
on 1/22/16 5:41 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I am 10 months out and still stick to 2-3oz portions of protein for my meals, and veggies after that if I have room. Some days I still can't finish a 3oz portion of protein, other days I finish my meal and still feel like I could squeeze some in, but never do because eating to fullness is what got me to 315lbs and I don't want to fall back into the habit of eating more just because I have room.

michele1
on 1/23/16 10:15 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Thanks for the reply I may have to experiment and mix my proteins up. I so wish I felt satiated with so little......maybe my sleeve is bigger because he took the band out at the same time.

Dan1962
on 1/22/16 6:20 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

At 6 months I didn't eat carbs and very few veggies.  I was eating 4 oz of dense protein.  Even today, 16 months out, I eat 6 oz of protein and still don't really eat carbs.  For lunch today I ordered a blue cheese burger and subbed the fries with broccoli.  I din't eat any of the bun.  Carbs are the devil!

Most Active