Stupid mistake

EmilyPanga
on 2/12/16 5:08 pm
VSG on 02/18/16

hey friends! Quick question... I'm scheduled to have the VGS on Thursday morning and my surgeon has me on a 2 week liquid diet. The first week was the worse! It has been so much better this last couple of days, I don't even feel hungry anymore. After a crazy busy day at work I came home and without thinking about it ate a slice of cheese and a handful of chips.... Now of course I'm kinda freaking out! i know different surgeons require different things and some don't even require a 2 week liquid diet... Should I be worried about this? 

happyteacher
on 2/12/16 5:16 pm

You will be fine, but get back on plan.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Nick S.
on 2/12/16 5:38 pm - Detroit, MI
VSG on 12/22/15

Don't worry, you'll survive! Just use it as a motivator to keep on track. Losing weight before surgery is important for many reasons, but most importantly to help the surgeon have more room inside you to poke around without doing damage.

Right now, you still have a normal stomach and no surgery wounds so it didn't hurt anything to eat, other than hurting your progress and setting you back mentally. After surgery, it's critical that you follow all of the rules so this time now is like a mini trial before the real thing begins.

Good luck!

Heaviest: 335   Currently: 190

VSG in December 2015

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/16 6:00 pm

You will be  fine. I did the two week liquid thing but met others when I had my surgery who had no liquid diet or just a day or two right before surgery. The little bit you ate will not affect the how the rest of the diet has worked and will continue to work till your surgery date. Good luck with your surgery.

psychoticparrot
on 2/12/16 6:55 pm

The purpose of the pre-op liquids is to shrink your liver to make the surgery easier for the surgeon and faster for you. You don't want to spend one minute more than you need to under general anesthesia.

One fatty snack isn't going to make a difference, but if you go seriously off the skids and binge on solid foods, call your surgeon. Better to postpone your surgery than to go into it under less than optimal conditions -- this is major surgery. Don't mess with your health and safety at this point. Remember ... M-A-J-O-R surgery.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

ubserved
on 2/12/16 8:53 pm

I wouldn't stress over it. I would stick to the remainder of your liquid diet. The reason the first week sucked, it was the carb withdraw. The main point of the pre-op diet is to shrink your liver in order to make the surgery easier for the surgeon and safer for you. Good luck.

Most Active