Travel tips & hip pain

kippertoo
on 4/9/16 1:00 pm

Hi everyone!  This is my first post and I've got a couple questions.

1st - I'm traveling to France, Spain, and Portugal in less than 2 weeks...a present to myself when I hit that 100 pound loss (5 lbs to go!).  Any tips on what protein snacks can or can't be taken in my carry-on? What worked the best and what to avoid?  I'm not too concerned about meals or snacks once we land, just the plane ride there and back.

2nd - I have greater trochanteric bursitis of my right hip, oddly from carrying a heavy carry-on bag from one end of Logan airport to the other...no wheels, ugh!  I thought loosing weight would help get rid of the pain.  But the more I work out the worst it feels.  I started slow, first on a stationery bike, then I got a treadmill for the winter, and then my surgeon suggested an elliptical.  I've been using the elliptical for a week now, and today it's worst than it's ever been.  Aside from cortisone shots, has anyone gotten relief in another way?  I want to be able to enjoy walking around all the wonderful sites in Europe without meds.

Thank you for listening, and I look forward to any suggestions. 

HW 265 / SW 222 / CW 170 / VSG 09/24/15 

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/16 1:14 pm

Snacks..international flights must be sealed by the manufacturer not in a zip lock bag you packed. Nuts, cheese that doesn't need to be refrigerated. My first trip I took one of those horrible squeezy protein things they sell in the diet section (Walmart). Don't taste great but I figured it packed a lot of protein if I really needed some.

Your bursitis. If you have good health ins I'd ask your Dr for something called a Flector Patch which is a NSAID in patch form. It does not go into you blood stream like when you take a pill. I have used both that patch and a Lidocaine Patch  for relief from bursitis. I find the Flector patch works much better. they are both expensive unless you have good prescription coverage. Otherwise I'd suggest a medical massage, or a  chiropractic visit before your trip. You deserve to enjoy it and bursitis can hang around a long time without intervention. Yes a cortisone shot would work too and might be worth getting for a once in lifetime trip!

Have a FANTASTIC time.

rocky513
on 4/9/16 2:59 pm - WI

NSAIDS all travel through the blood stream.  They all will cause ulcers and gastric issues, even the patch.  NSAIDS are a systemic medication. Here is the link to the Flector Patch side effects.   

(From that website)  Side effects are:

Cardiovascular Risk
??NSAIDs may cause an increased risk of serious cardiovascular thrombotic events, myocardial infarction, and stroke, which can be fatal. This risk may increase with duration of use. Patients with cardiovascular disease or risk factors for cardiovascular disease may be at greater risk. (SeeWARNINGS and CLINICAL TRIALS).
??Flector® Patch is contraindicated for the treatment of peri-operative pain in the setting of coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery (see WARNINGS).
Gastrointestinal Risk
??NSAIDs cause an increased risk of serious gastrointestinal adverse events including bleeding, ulceration, and perforation of the stomach or intestines, which can be fatal. These events can occur at any time during use and without warning symptoms. Elderly patients are at greater risk for serious gastrointestinal events. (See WARNINGS).

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/16 5:00 pm

Thank you for the link and the info it contained. I am aware all NSAIDS end up in the blood though my Dr felt in lower concentration from the patch and that this was a better answer for my issues than pills. That said I would never use NSAID for anything other than short term (usually 1/2 patch only once) emergency level care. Most drugs can have effects we never consider or overlook when reading the info the drug store gives so so thanks for giving us more reason to think more than twice before we jump in.

cappy11448
on 4/9/16 1:41 pm

I usually take nuts and cheese sticks.  I measure 3 ounces of nuts and put them in zip lock bags, so I can track the calories.  The nuts can travel a long time.  I also take cheese, but only eat that the first few days.

Have a wonderful trip.  Bring back some pictures to share!

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Oneillch
on 4/9/16 4:01 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Congrats! What a great way to celebrate. I don't have any suggestions for the pain. Hopefully just walking won't aggrevate it too much. As for snacks on the plane, try taking pre-packaged almonds, beef, steak or turkey jerkey. The jerky is relatively low in calories/carbs & high in protein (1 oz, depending on the brand/type @ 80 calories with 15 grams of protein & 3 carbs). Same with pork rinds. 

Have fun & enjoy!

kippertoo
on 4/9/16 5:47 pm

Oh thank you everyone!  Nuts, cheese, and jerkey sound perfect.  I have some protein bars, but those are used very sparingly, and I don't like to rely on them.  Has anyone tried the high protein potato chips by Quest?

And I think I'll stear clear of the NSAIDs for the hip pain, but the massage could be another treat before I go...I like that suggestion! Pretty sure I'll end up getting the shot, too.

White Dove
on 4/10/16 3:36 pm - Warren, OH

Biofreeze spray might really help the pain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

kippertoo
on 4/10/16 7:26 pm

I've heard of Biofreeze but never tried it.  Does it penetrate deep enough to reach the bursa?

Most Active