VSG (Sleeve) in Tijuana, Mexico?

dnkvaughan
on 4/10/16 4:36 pm

I need some helpful advice.  

1. how do I select a VSG surgeon in Mexico?
  2. I need funding since my insurance is giving me a hard time.  Go Fund Me?
  3. Is surgery safe in Tijuana?
  4. What if there are post op complications?  Who do I contact?

Kimberly 

Joyaugie
on 4/10/16 6:00 pm

I can't tell you who to select, but I know someone who went to Mexico for the sleeve a year ago and is very happy with how she was treated. She said she did her research and then made her decision. Whomever does your surgery will have a person to coordinate all your plans as they do it all the time and are used to Americans traveling for surgery. A name I've heard of in Mexico is Dr. Ariel Ortez (sp?) and also Dr. Mayatorina (sp?). There is a Facebook site called  All things Bariactric with people who had surgery with these doctors. It's a closed group, but I'm sure you can join. 

I went to Mexico for my lapband in 2002 and my experience was excellent. The doctors will hug you in Mexico as they are different there. You need to talk to your primary care physician about follow up care.  You can get this type of surgery for around $4,000, but you need to pay for your flight also. I hope this helps to get you started,

Good Luck,

Joy

Kathy S.
on 4/11/16 11:02 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi dnkvaughan,

!.  Research your options.  Read their profiles, and review tabs.  If you are interested in them the next step would be to contact the coordinator and find out details on the service, price and assistance with travel and lodging.  We suggest you read/post on the Mexico Forum to reach out to those that are looking for surgery like you.

2.  Raising money is one option.  Have you decided on financing? We will send you some links to sites that help with surgery financing.  If you decide to go with a "go fund me" account, please don't post here as it's against the Terms of Services to ask for money.

3.  We have many members that have posted of their experience in having surgery in Tijuana and other ares of MX. Use the search feature (looking glass to the left of your user name in the upper right hand corner of the page.

4.  You may want to reach out to surgeons in your area and see if they will help you in case of complications before surgery.  Remember, sadly any complications may not be covered by insurance.  

Sending you an email     

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

SilverGirl2015
on 4/11/16 5:18 pm, edited 4/11/16 10:17 am

I used Alighterme - medical travel facilitators - they were great to work with and made it all so easy and simple. I had Dr. Elias Ortiz and was very pleased with the care I rec'd every step of the way. I had no complications but I did need to follow up with the surgeon via email and he was very responsive and helpful. I DO NOT WORK FOR ALIGHTERME - I just had a really good experience with them. There are other companies you can research.  Mexico is a great option for those of us who can't get insurance coverage for WLS.  The cost was low enough that I just paid for it myself. Happy to share my experience with you if you have any questions. I'm 57, I'm eight months out from surgery, feeling fantastic!

Emmasca
on 4/12/16 10:30 am
VSG on 04/01/16

I had my sleeve done in Tijuana on March 31, 2016. I had a GREAT experience. I connected with a coordinator here in the states, Diedra Givens , She took care of everything. All I had to do was pay a deposit and get my flight to San Diego.  Dr Ponce De Leon and Dr Eulices Frayre preformed my surgery at the INT hospital. I cant say enough good things about my trip. I got to stay in a Gorgeous guest house after my 2 days in the hospital. Let me know if you want more information...

Good Luck

angie72
on 4/12/16 1:02 pm - Asheboro, NC
RNY on 03/24/16

Just had sleeve done March 24th, 2016. Dr. Sergio Quinones. www.pompeiisurgical.com I did the in-house financing...no fees, no interest, easy "doable" payment plan. I'm like 3 weeks out and they have called me to check on me probably 10 times since I got home. I was asking the same questions and feeling the same way you are. I finally decided, 'if I go there and something bad happens, I die, and if I stay right here and keep fighting with insurance, I'm still gonna die.' I was afraid of the unknown!!!! Don't be worried or scared. They were AWESOME!!!! I would do it all over in a heartbeat! DO IT!!! 

Meldlc71
on 6/11/16 6:36 am

I am about to book my surgery with Dr Q as well. Wanted to see if you have any suggestions for me as far as things you wish you knew before you went. Or things you wish you would have took with you? I as well am doing the in house financing, everything seems to be falling in place for me and I am super excited ?

Thank you for any suggestions

ReadY_2_BeSleeveD
on 9/18/16 2:14 pm
On June 11, 2016 at 1:36 PM Pacific Time, Meldlc71 wrote:

I am about to book my surgery with Dr Q as well. Wanted to see if you have any suggestions for me as far as things you wish you knew before you went. Or things you wish you would have took with you? I as well am doing the in house financing, everything seems to be falling in place for me and I am super excited ?

Thank you for any suggestions

How has your recovery been since the surgery??

Most Active