Newbie w/ H Pylori Question

Naomi S.
on 4/30/16 8:03 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

Hello everyone,

I recently completed all of the insurance requirements for WLS, including six months of dietician visits. On Thursday I received a call that my insurance company has approved me! I have my surgeon consult on May 11, but there's a question I'd like to ask before then. 

At my very first appointment at the bariatric center, they did a complete panel of blood tests, and I found out I was positive for H Pylori.  I've been working with a GI doctor since then, and I've been through two courses of treatment for the infection.  I finished my last course of treatment in March, but my GI Doctor won't test me again until May 18.  (I've called twice asking if we can test sooner, and this is the soonest he will allow it.)  

I'm worried that if I still have H Pylori, it will set back my surgery date.  I'm a teacher, so I've planned everything carefully so I could have surgery in June.  

Obviously it will be easier to undergo a third round of treatment before having surgery.  I have no idea what the third course of treatment is, but during the second course I took 160 large pills in 10 days.  I don't think a newly sleeved stomach could handle that!

Is there anyone who's had to undergo a third course of treatment for H Pylori?  If so, how can I expect it to affect the time frame for my surgery?

Thank you!

Naomi 

Naomi

cappy11448
on 4/30/16 8:08 pm

I was diagnosed with H. Pylori in the biopsy of the tissue removed when I had my sleeve.  so I had to do the course of drugs after my sleeve.  They had me wait about 8 to 10  weeks to let my tummy heal before taking the antibiotics.  I think its better to treat it before the surgery, but I managed ok doing it after I was sleeved.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Darcy G.
on 5/1/16 2:39 am
VSG on 04/07/16

My surgeon tests for H.Pylori before surgery and requires it be cured first since it *is* an infection and they don't want to go in when there is any obstacle than will make healing more difficult. I was also told it causes the tissue to be enflamed before surgery.

Agree it's better to make sure you're clear first. You're right: bug antibiotics with new sleeve is miserable. Be worth delaying until June to me(who is struggling with new sleeve + big disgusting antibiotics...)

Good luck, and congratulations on getting thru the pre-op obstacle course to surgery approval!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Naomi S.
on 5/14/16 9:29 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

Thank you so much for your replies, Carol and Darcy. I had my surgeon consult this week, and he said they have changed their protocol for H Pylori treatment in the last couple of months. He said they no longer test for H Pylori, and that if I still have it, it's possible the infected area will be removed with the surgery. They'll test during surgery, and if I still have an active infection, we'll treat it after I recover. 

I was worried that this would delay my surgery, but that's not the case.  I'm scheduled for June 3!

Naomi

Most Active