A mater of taste

LeapSecond
on 5/1/16 5:10 am - AR

I have an issue I have with yogurt.  My plans to eliminate this from my diet have been temporary at best.  It truly is all I want to eat. I definitely have taste changes.  This is an odd craving, or fixation.  My psych doc says this is a new one for him. This started well after surgery but has remained past a "phase" now 8-10 months .  After an in-depth search I have found a study that at least explains that I am not going crazy.  Published in 2014, from a UK study over 11 years found altered appetite, taste involving cravings and aversions as well as altered sense of smell with gastric bypass surgery.  This happen in enough people that they now include this information in pre-op consent material.  Just wondering if any VSGers have had taste changes.   Some of my other taste changes.  I used to love ham.  Now not so much.  In fact I think I could do without meat all together. Shrimp does not sit well at all.  I used to like broccoli now it almost makes me gag. Do you have food aversions? What are your taste changes?  

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 5/1/16 7:43 am
VSG on 01/11/16

my biggest change has been water.. it used to be the only thing I drank during the day and now it tastes so metallic to me that even water flavor enhancers don't help. I favor tart over sweet now

LeapSecond
on 5/1/16 10:04 am - AR

Another one for me is water.  It is like it is hard to swallow and doesn't sit well either.  I put lemon concentrate in it with a little stevia.  Now problem getting 100 oz.

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 5/1/16 10:11 am
VSG on 01/11/16

if I didn't drink warm/hot beverages for at least half of my fluid intake.. I'd never make 64 ounces a day.

I have 16 ounces of tea or decaf and 16 ounces of bone broth a day

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/1/16 9:01 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

The only change I've noticed is a craving for cottage cheese. Breakstone large curd to be exact, I never had this desire for it pre op & I only ate it during those times I was on a "diet". Weird, who craves cottage cheese?, me apparently. lol 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Darcy G.
on 5/1/16 10:42 am
VSG on 04/07/16

Me!! And blended doesn't cut it. I'm looking forward to next week and cottage cheese being allowed!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

LeapSecond
on 5/1/16 12:26 pm - AR

Interesting that you have a brand and size.  Is this something you have every day?  I keep hoping mine will go away. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/1/16 1:10 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Lately I have been having it everyday along with a boiled egg for breakfast. I've tried other brands even the small curd & I didn't like them. The full fat large curd by Breakstone is the only one that I liked & it felt like I was eating a meal. It took the place of my shakes, which I still drink, just not everyday.

Most times I alternate from month to month, but the craving still comes whenever I stayed away from it too long., & at times it felt like I could eat it all day, but only that particular one.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/1/16 9:34 am
RNY on 08/05/19

A lot of people have this with protein shakes pre- and post-op. My surgeon advises people not to stock up on powder or shakes before surgery because he sees it so often!

I absolutely HATED yogurt before I had surgery. Something about the sourness just completely turned me off, no matter how many times I tried. Now, I could eat a small container of Greek yogurt with SF preserves pretty much every day, and I often have them for breakfast at work.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Bufflehead
on 5/1/16 10:07 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I haven't developed any aversions but I did a complete 180 on how I feel about eggs.

Before surgery: absolutely loathed them, the smell of cooked eggs made me nauseated, I refused eggs in almost every instance. There was truly no food I hated more than eggs.

After surgery: I love eggs and will eat them in just about any form. I have eggs (well, one egg) every day, usually for dinner, and I look forward to it all day. Not having an egg on a given day makes me feel cheated.

Seriously, it's like someone flipped a switch on me.

I think that changing tastes after vsg is actually pretty common. I've seen a lot of people talk about it online, and I know it was something that was talked about at my pre-surgery boot camp class.

I had another switch too, a less fortunate one: I used to not care about chocolate. I didn't hate it, but it was kind of meaningless to me. If I had a choice of chocolate or vanilla, I always chose vanilla. Chocolate candy never tempted me. But since surgery, I definitely prefer chocolate, to the point of craving it at times.

Most Active