How have your taste buds changed since having a VSG?

Tizzles
on 5/20/16 12:19 pm

Greetings friends. I hope my post finds all of you guys well. As I'm still in the pre-op stages (I'll likely have surgery in August as I have to wait 3 months because of smoking - I quit, but ugh so hard), I have a lot of questions. The one thing that I've noticed people say but don't really elaborate on is how their taste buds have changed.

I am really hoping that I will start liking veggies more. Simple ones like green beans and steamed broccoli (not smothered in a boat load of cheese) that are easy to make. I never did eat many veggies growing up, my mom tried to get me to eat them but I never did develop the taste for them. Afraid that she would cause me some bad habits in my adulthood with food she didn't press me a ton. She also didn't like veggies when she was growing up but when she got older she developed a taste for them; she assumed I would do the same. I have not.

So I'd love to hear your experiences on what foods you loved pre-op that now you don't like. Also just any food in general you didn't like before but now you love. What about sensitivity to smells?

I apologize if this is a double or triple post of some previously discussed topic, I did look but didn't find anything specific to what I was looking for. Thanks for reading and replying!

diane S.
on 5/20/16 6:05 pm

yes tastes do change. I am no longer the sugar junky I once was. I do love the stuff if I eat it but can pass it up.  I used to hate oatmeal but now like it. seldom eat it though.  I enjoy more tart and spicy tastes instead of just sugar/salt/fat.   I skip most refined carbs and potatoes and rice. Doesn[t mean i don't like the stuff but am able to pass it up easily.      gl.  you will do fine.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

texasbumpkin
on 5/20/16 7:06 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

I can not eat anything sweet.  I crave fresh vegitables, especially salad.

Steven S.
on 5/21/16 2:47 am - Houston, TX

My taste buds didn't change at all (I am one year out).  I still love all the foods I used to love and enjoy them occasionally, I just eat a whole lot less and eat the protein first!  I wouldn't stress about veggies so much at first, its hard enough to get the required proteins that I had hardly ever had any room for more than a few bites.  The few bites I took I made sure I enjoyed them :)

Wanda1118
on 5/22/16 3:17 am
VSG on 07/09/14

I had to quit smoking also before surgery...I am now 26 months smoke free and I sure feel better although at times I really miss the smoking..between that and the surgery my taste has changed..I use to love salsa and spicy food and I still do but my mouth and stomach can't handle it much now..I find a lot of stuff that I use to eat just kind of makes me sick now...I do eat a lot more salad and fresh veggies..good luck on your smoking and on your weight loss journey!

Karen D.
on 5/22/16 9:08 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Surgery has helped my sweet tooth!  Besides not wanting sugar I have found I can't eat it either, makes me horribly sick.  I have found fruit is my "sweet".  Lately I'm hooked on strawberries and blueberries.  I have found I like fish too.  I have craved beets for months and have found a couple recipes using fresh green beans for which I never used pre-surgery.

Definitely taste buds have changed for the better.

catwoman7
on 5/22/16 12:17 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I'm RNY rather than VSG, but my sense of taste just intensified after surgery.  Sweet things taste sweeter, spicy things taste spicier, etc.   I pretty much like the same things as I did before surgery, but things that fall on the extreme ends (e.g., really sweet or really spicy) I find hard to tolerate now.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Courage2Enjoy
on 5/22/16 4:06 pm
VSG on 04/28/16

Tizzles:  I am only 3 weeks post op so I've only introduced a few things but I can tell you after being on such a restricted liquid diet whatever you eat will probably taste more intense.  I tried the babybel cheese and tasted sooo good!  I am not a big tuna eater but I know for 2.7 oz it has 14 g of protein so I eat it.  When I first did it was delicious!  It really is mind over matter.  I use to live to eat, now it's eat to live.  So I know that what I put in my body must be healthy and fuel me...that's it.  So hopefully you'll enjoy the veggies.  I only had one bite of cooked zucchini because I ate my protein first but it was so good.  Remember you can season veggies w/o cheese.  We've been on such 'bland' food that when you do have something seasoned well it's so good!  The protein shakes that I loved pre-op are so sweet and just, taste so different.   Good luck, and try incorporating more veggies now.  Cook them different ways: boil, saute, bake...etc.  I am sure you'll try more and hopefully like it!  

ladyhoman
on 5/22/16 6:02 pm

Zero cravings for fast food. I tried a few things as time went by after surgery. It was awful! Wendy's burgers used to be the bomb for me. Now they just taste like pure grease. Really disgusting. The things I have tried and still like I have sworn off! It is amazing the willpower you can get when you are lovin your life again!

Good Luck to you!!

SW: 219   HW:253  CW: 156  GOAL: 150  Goal: 5K  Eventual Goal with running:140

FuturePinUp
on 5/22/16 6:09 pm

I was never a sweets eater or soda drinker, but now, I can't stomach sweets at all because they taste cloyingly sweet to me. I have had zero issues with tolerating foods that I liked before surgery but I have become more picky in my eating due to the small volume I can now eat. I used to eat stuff I didn't really like much because it was there. Totally done doing that now. Don't want to waste my limited space on something that doesn't hit the spot.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active