Refried beans and canned soup

PCOSYoYo
on 6/2/16 6:13 pm
VSG on 05/13/16

So firstly, I've never in my life had refried beans. The only times ve seen them they look like slop. Lol. So now that I'm nearing the stage where everyone says they eat them, I need to know if anyone has any good options on how to make them, or if any canned brands are good, or at least palatable. I bought some pinto beans and Cannellini beans tonight  and figure I'll just try some things out and if nothing works, smash them up with some tasty broth. If any one has any sugestions about this part for me, feel free to share.

I was also told I could grab some healthy requests soups and blend them smokth, add powder, and substitute  those while on my liquid phase to add a more calories. I'm also not against making my own. I also plan to blend chilli up ans water it down, but if anyone has any favourites or absolute no no to share, please send them my way.  I'll search through the recipes here to see if anything looks good or easy. I guess it's a good thing I've nevernever tasted refried beans since I'll have nothing to compare them to.

One person said the ones taco bell makes are super good k and their nutritional requirements fit in my program but I'd like to try making things myself rather than get into the fast food habit just one month post surgery.

I'm 3 weeks out  tomorrow and I'm down about 28 lbs in those 3. Feeling good,  just trying my best to drink all of my water and calories.

Thank you!, off to recipe search!

-Natalie VSG 5/13/16. 5'6" -- HW 283 . SW 266

Post vsg: M1 -32 , M2 -14 , M3-19

petra65
on 6/2/16 6:31 pm - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

I don't have any great recipes but I happen to like them.  I often joke when I open the can that they look like dogfood but I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  I usually get the Old El Paso brand and the fat free ones taste just as good.  I just dump them in a sauce pan and heat them up.  I have typically eaten them with rice or tortillas but that will have to change post-op.

PCOSYoYo
on 6/2/16 7:27 pm
VSG on 05/13/16

Thanks :) I'll definitely  try some and hope ! Haha.  I think anything will taste amazing since I'm so sick of fake sweet shakes. Blech.

-Natalie VSG 5/13/16. 5'6" -- HW 283 . SW 266

Post vsg: M1 -32 , M2 -14 , M3-19

Darcy G.
on 6/2/16 8:28 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Old El Paso even has refried black beansnow, and they're also very good.

I add cheese to mine and taco sauce or some purred fresh tomato. I mention tomato because the beans can be kinda sticky and having some kinbkinbd oif sauce makes them easier to get down.

Good luck! Take it slow at the beginning, sometimes your tummy just won't want to accept some perfectly acceptable food(mine's very bratty), and better you find out at first bite than last when you might feel sick for hours!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

NYMom222
on 6/2/16 7:41 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

The blog: The World According to Eggface has recipes for all the stages.

Usually people do refried beans with a little taco sauce on top and like a tbsp of shredded cheese melted....if you are allowed.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/3/16 3:56 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Here's the link to Eggface's website.

Check out her great ideas for things you can eat at this stage.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

obioxiupa
on 6/3/16 6:09 am

I don't care for canned beans - they always taste like the can to me.  You can cook pinto beans yourself (a few hours simmering with garlic salt and water) and then "refry" them by hearing them up and mashing them - I use a potatoe masher.  I think they are better home made.  And the beans freeze great too - I put them in a ziplock.

Vsg April 25th 2016 with Benjamin Shadle.

Starting weight 351, surgery weight 331

M1 -22.2 M2 - 14.2 M3 -8.9 M4 - 12.1 M5 - 4.7

8/22/2016 Lost 60.1 since surgery.  Lost 78.2 overall.

Goals:  1)Get under 300 - done!  Yeah!  2) Get under 280 (Yeah met this on 8/10/16) 3)Get under 268 (stay tuned!)

Culinarian
on 6/3/16 6:45 pm

Dried beans are the way to go.  They can be time consuming, but are very easy to work with.  You can soak them overnight and cook them in a crockpot the next day.  Try cooking them in a stock that is seasoned to your liking.  You can also add other vegetables to this mixture for added flavors.  Once cooked, mash them up to a consistency you like with additional seasonings.  You will be able to control the salt and flavor by cooking them yourself.  The flavors you can create are endless :)

Beware of stocks and salt.  Always check the labels for sodium, a true stock should not have any salt.  Stocks are very easy to make as well, however, they can be quite time consuming.  Stocks can freeze for up to 6 months or longer depending on how you stored them.

Good luck, I am not at this stage yet, but know how hard it can be to create foods that are delicious and healthy.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 54 views