I start puree Monday- nutrition questions

ejirish
on 6/4/16 1:05 pm

I plan to follow 800 cals a day, 60+ g protein, that said what is a realistic carb goal/maximum? 

I have so many questions for the NUT Monday- my whole book points to low fat this/that- part skim- fake eggs- what the heck? It appears I can only have 1-3 tbs of a couple of things for every meal- like ricotta and a veg-

Also, I understand to choose no sugar added foods- but I noticed Dannon light n fit fruit flavors have 12gs of sugar- has that been an issue for anyone (weight loss wise)- This is the only yogurt I can basically eat- I freeze it for 30 minutes and its much more tolerable- 

I'm setting up my fitness pal and my % are Carb= 30%, prot=65 and fat=20- the carbs= 15 per day and I just dont think I could stay that low even with the best intentions. 

I'd love any advice- I have a huge fear of screwing this up- 

yvonnef1964
on 6/4/16 4:50 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

In the beginning I ate under 40 carbs. The dannon light and fit is mostly what I ate.

hollykim
on 6/4/16 4:53 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 4, 2016 at 8:05 PM Pacific Time, ejirish wrote:

I plan to follow 800 cals a day, 60+ g protein, that said what is a realistic carb goal/maximum? 

I have so many questions for the NUT Monday- my whole book points to low fat this/that- part skim- fake eggs- what the heck? It appears I can only have 1-3 tbs of a couple of things for every meal- like ricotta and a veg-

Also, I understand to choose no sugar added foods- but I noticed Dannon light n fit fruit flavors have 12gs of sugar- has that been an issue for anyone (weight loss wise)- This is the only yogurt I can basically eat- I freeze it for 30 minutes and its much more tolerable- 

I'm setting up my fitness pal and my % are Carb= 30%, prot=65 and fat=20- the carbs= 15 per day and I just dont think I could stay that low even with the best intentions. 

I'd love any advice- I have a huge fear of screwing this up- 

the less carbs and sugar the better. You can stay. that low if you mostly eat meat and non carry vegetables. Carbs will make you hungry for more carbs and more of everything. 

You nut is giving old school advice which many of them do. It really doesn't apply to us at all.

Bufflehead
on 6/4/16 4:54 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

It sounds to me like you have a great plan, I don't think you will screw anything up.

My plan called for a maximum of 60 carbs per day, which I rarely hit anyway. Also, everything I ate had to be high protein: meat, fish, eggs, dairy, beans/legumes was basically it. Meals were 3 tablespoons per meal max and that was plenty. No snacks between meals other than protein shakes. I'm not saying you should adopt my plan, just giving you some feedback on possibilities.

Yogurt never hindered my weight loss. I generally have tried to stay with the all natural varieties but that's just my preference.

Good luck to you!

Donna L.
on 6/4/16 6:33 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Light and fit greek yogurt only has 9g of carbs and more protein than the regular light and fit yogurt.  

I keep my carbs as low as possible.  Almost always under 40g.  That's more a function of the fact even a year out that not much else fits once I meet my protein requirements.  Eating more carbs during some addictive periods just halts weight loss for me.                        

I typically don't worry about low fat in the least.  I focus on protein first and minimizing carbs second.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

NYMom222
on 6/5/16 8:11 am
RNY on 07/23/14

All yogurts, even plain have sugar...it is the naturally occurring milk sugar. People who eat more protein do better IMHO. So yes, 60 is the minimum. An occasional carb? OK, but there is no need to reach a carb goal. Less carbs = less hunger. You will feel the most satisfied eventually when you can tolerate dense protein- beef, chicken, fish...

I never did low fat, and certainly not fat free. Fat makes things taste good, as well as is satiating too...helps you feel full...You are not eating bread and fried foods, so I actually have to remember sometimes to add fat here and there...Healthy fats are good for our system.

I do use protein drinks, for me they work in the morning because I am not that hungry... if I try and have them later in the day, they are only a snack and don't stay with me long...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

cappy11448
on 6/5/16 4:32 pm

I was very strict with carbs and I set my goal at 25g per day.  That meant all my carbs came from dairy and healthy low carb veggies.  I usually made this goal but didn't worry if I went a little over.

Some people use a lot of substitute products to reduce calories and carbs, but I didn't do this.  I eat whole eggs, normal salad dressing, full-fat cheese.  I just keep my servings small.  I did use plain low-fat greek yogurt, and substituted it for mayo and cream in recipes.  You'll figure out what works for you.

I'd suggest going slow when you start the purees.  Your tummy capacity may limit you more than you  expect.  Just take it slow, and see how your tummy reacts.  You'll do fine.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active