Protein Bars

Secrets224
on 6/29/16 1:52 pm
VSG on 09/27/16

Hey everyone! So, what's the deal on the protein bars? Of course, most of us are drinking the protein shakes, but I haven't seen anyone mention protein bars at any phase of this journey. I drink Premier protein drinks now and I know they have their own line of bars, but are those a big no-no? I see that all the protein bars contain high amounts of one thing or another, whether it be carbs, sugar or calories, but are we supposed to steer clear of these bars? 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/29/16 2:23 pm, edited 6/29/16 9:01 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I'm not sure where you are on your journey.  I'm assuming that you haven't had surgery yet?

Protein bars tend to be higher in carbs than protein shakes.  They are also a trigger for many of us.  They are just like candy bars.  The sugar alcohols in protein bars can also cause some gastrointestinal distress for some people.

They can serve a purpose as a meal replacement.  I'll eat one, but very infrequently.

ETA: Meant CARBS, not CALORIES

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Secrets224
on 6/29/16 5:47 pm
VSG on 09/27/16

Thank you! Im actually scheduled for surgery on August 2nd. I was just wondering if they were taboo for sleevers. I appreciate the info

CMR1075
on 6/29/16 9:43 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Everyone has their opinions on these. I asked the same question a few months back (I'm 5 1/2 months post op). Some are for them, some against. I can say that I eat them, but not every day...and usually only a half at a time. That tends to hold me over or satisfy me - whatever the reason is I am in need of one. They are easy for me to snack on for the type of work that I do or when I come home from the gym. Because they are higher in carbs I try and limit them to a few times a week. When I think about it's probably about 2 -3 bars total in a week because of only eating half at a time. Like I said, everyone has their opinions on them. I say it's ok as long as you aren't making them out to be like a candy bar and eating them all the time.

Good luck on your scheduled surgery!

popbella
on 6/29/16 2:41 pm
VSG on 06/17/16

I just bought some Simply Prrotein bars and find that the nutritional facts are quite good.  I'm only 2 weeks post opportunity, so I won't be able to enjoy them just yet, but I've got them on hand for when that step comes.  It's something different than all the protein liquid.  That's my big thing right now.  Plus, I think it will be great for in my purse when I'm on the go as an easy meal fix.

I also bought some protein chips by the same company.  Again, the nutritional values look pretty.  I'm excited to be able to have the crunch factor introduced back into my diet soon.  (The chips are made from pea protein).

hollykim
on 6/29/16 4:11 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 29, 2016 at 9:41 PM Pacific Time, popbella wrote:

I just bought some Simply Prrotein bars and find that the nutritional facts are quite good.  I'm only 2 weeks post opportunity, so I won't be able to enjoy them just yet, but I've got them on hand for when that step comes.  It's something different than all the protein liquid.  That's my big thing right now.  Plus, I think it will be great for in my purse when I'm on the go as an easy meal fix.

I also bought some protein chips by the same company.  Again, the nutritional values look pretty.  I'm excited to be able to have the crunch factor introduced back into my diet soon.  (The chips are made from pea protein).

the first ingredient in the bars is soy, not the best absorbed protein for us.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/29/16 3:18 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Generally, a protein bar is probably OK if there are at least 10g protein for every 100 calories. There are only a few that fit this criteria-- Quest bars and Think Thin are two that come to mind. A LOT of "protein bars" have far less than that.

Ideally, our calories and protein should be coming from things like meat and cheese. But sometimes you need to have something in your office in case you forget your lunch or something. And that's probably not a problem. 

Just be careful that you don't rely on them, especially if you had trouble with cookies/cake/etc. before surgery. I've had moments when I really wanted a cookie, so I had a protein bar. And then another a few hours later. And then a third before bed. If that's the case, you may be best off not buying them at all.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Secrets224
on 6/29/16 5:44 pm
VSG on 09/27/16

Hey,  thanks! I actually find them kind of hard to eat as is, so I probably won't buy them post-op. I buy the premier protein shakes,  and I saw above them that they had bars,  so I figured I'd try them.  They aren't that great tasting and kind of hard anyway,  so I wasn't impressed. I'll steer clear of them. 

Donna L.
on 6/29/16 6:23 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It's actually best to get protein from meat first, dairy next, plant sources last.  In terms of protein powder, hydrolyzed whey is absorbed best, isolate whey next, all other whey last.  Beef or egg protein is more ideal, but also more expensive.  There's also pea protein which isn't bad if you are allergic to milk.

Having said that, protein bars are problematic for a lot of reasons.  They are often higher in calories and carbs as people mentioned, and have a lot of processed stuff.  I'd argue that shakes are better, but if you absolutely have to use a bar to go ahead.  It's better than 500 calories of fast food.  Of course, all people are different.  I notice my weight stalls, even with low carb bars.

Of course, all people are different.  I notice my weight stalls, even with low carb bars.  Some people eat them with abandon.  Really, it depends.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Secrets224
on 6/30/16 11:41 am
VSG on 09/27/16

Wow, that is quite interesting. The nutritionist told us (group nutrition counseling meeting) to buy whey isolate. Never even heard of hydrolyzed whey. I'm going to look into that! Thanks!!! 

Most Active