After 11+ years the ball is rolling!!!

rachelp
on 7/1/16 8:28 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Hi all! I've been a member on this site since 2005! I think I even "lurked" for a year before that. I was researching the lap band and the RNY. I had a friend that had the lap band and then had it revised to RNY so I was very intrigued with her results and life after. Back then my BMI was right under or right at 40 and I was 24 years old. I found some nice local people on here. Maybe some of you wls veterans remember them, Debra Flores & Stacy Garcia. They were some of the regulars on here. I attended some of their support groups & attended a few surgeon seminars but found out my insurance policy excluded WLS. Also, back then there were so many more scary complications and deaths and my friends and family didn't approve so I let the idea of surgery go. There used to be sooooo many more people with complications on here and there was even a forum or memory page of all the people who died. It's so different now! And not to mention all the hoops and struggles people had with insurance. My goodness!! For about 2 years after that I managed to loose 125 lbs but it cost me a total of over 5k in programs, products, meds etc. I was going to Quick Weightloss Center and also secretly seeing a fat DR for B-12 shots and Phentermine. I lost so much because I eventually was down to eating 1/2 protein bar for breakfast and about 6 shrimp and a 1/2 cup green beans for lunch and NO dinner. I was young and parting and drinking a lot. While skinny I managed to catch me a husband ...kidding, I've known him for forever...and had a baby shortly after in 2009. You can guess what happened over the next few years. Yep! The weight came back. This time it won't budge no matter what I do and have been wasting so much $$$ on crap! Any time I do loose it comes back with so much more! I can't take it any more! I ran into an ol friend from school who has always struggled with weight like me and she said she is having the surgery. She recommended the surgeon she is using and I had a consult Wednesday. He was wonderful! Dr. Alanis in League City TX. The ladies in the office informed me that not only will my insurance cover the surgery, that there are no requirements other than 2 Nutrition visits preop and a psych evaluation. Yesterday I saw the nutritionist and next Friday I will have my endoscopy procedure done. The office projects that my surgery will be around the 1st of August! I am going to get the sleeve and I am thrilled!! Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I'm here...lurking hahaha.          

cici123
on 7/1/16 10:26 am

I am glad that you are feeling good about taking this step and that you have a friend who has been through this.  That will be a valuable resource for you throughout pre and post op...best wishes..Ceecee 11 days post op.

Kelly L.
on 7/12/16 10:13 am

Nice to "meet" you and congrats on finally getting sleeved, I know you have to be thrilled!  I am happy for you! 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 33 views