Hello familiar feeling...is it normal?

vsgaimee
on 7/25/16 11:49 pm - IL
VSG on 01/05/16

Hi all. I'm not active here at all. I signed up back before (maybe after?) my surgery in hopes of coming on all the time but truthfully I've had a hard time with the after surgery emotions. My depression has skyrocketed so therefor I tend to isolate when I do this. But anyway..this isn't what the subject is about..sorry. I was woken up yesterday morning to hunger and a rumbling belly. I'm 6 1/2 months out. Is this normal? The hunger "pains" did this on and off all day. Can someone tell me that I'm not alone with this? 

TimeToHealRich2016
on 7/26/16 12:03 am - CA
VSG on 07/11/16

I'm only 2 weeks post-op so can't say I have direct experience but have read some people saying that there are triggers like caffeine before bed or even going to bed on an empty stomach leaves them feeling famished when they wake up.  Have you had any recent changes in eating before bed?

HW: 447 SW: 415 GW: 240 CW: 339 Total WL = 110

WL: Pre-op: -32 M1: -27 M2: -19 M3: -14 M4: -9 M5 & M6: -9 in progress

vsgaimee
on 7/26/16 12:17 am - IL
VSG on 01/05/16

Hello and thank you for replying. Congrats on your new journey by the way! 

Well, I have been drinking quite a bit of decaffeinated coffee but no caffeine late at night. I am not real sure what could be happening. Maybe the hunger feeling is just starting to come back. 

dime
on 8/2/16 11:38 am

Just an FYI decaffeinated coffee does have a little bit of caffeine in t and if you are drinking quite a bit throughout the day it may add up.

HW 273 CW 250 5'2 Dr. Miguel Burch Not yet sleeved

White Dove
on 7/26/16 2:28 am - Warren, OH

It is usually caused by eating white carbs, flour, bread, potatoes, rice, cereal, sugar, pastries, candies, cookies, cakes, pies or ice cream.  It you don't eat white carbs and instead fill up on dense protein, hunger will usually stay away.

t

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

vsgaimee
on 7/26/16 11:24 am - IL
VSG on 01/05/16

I haven't eaten white carbs at all. I've been very strict with that. 

janinemarie
on 7/26/16 6:47 am

Hi, I'm sorry you were struggling with depression.  A lot of emotions can come up after we take food out of the equation.  As far as hunger goes, My first sleeve surgery I felt hungry all the time, since my resleeve revision I feel hungry just around my period.  I honestly don't mind feeling hungry, I just make sure I eat extra protein those days if I need it.  I also find that I lose more weight those times.  Not everyone losing hunger or for many people the hunger will come back.  But that doesn't change how much we can eat.  

Take care of yourself and good luck!

vsgaimee
on 7/26/16 11:26 am - IL
VSG on 01/05/16

Thank you. It's been tough. I have other issues going on as well. Maybe I'm about to start. I've not been regular at all and I have poly cystic ovaries..maybe it is just nearing that time of the month for me. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/26/16 7:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Depression sucks. Are you seeing someone for help with your mental health? It can make an ENORMOUS difference, whether you do therapy only or end up on medication. I have bipolar and I'd be happy to chat depression stuff, feel free to PM.

Are you on an acid reducer? Stomach acid can mimic hunger, so staying on something like a PPI, at least for a bit, may help. Your surgeon can help advise you on that.

As others have said, make sure you're sticking to dense, lean protein. Lots of meat, next to no carbs. 

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

vsgaimee
on 7/26/16 11:28 am - IL
VSG on 01/05/16

Yes, it does indeed. I had some issues with depression prior to surgery but it was mainly anxiety issues. I've had anxiety issues my entire life which has caused phobias. I'm on medication for the anxiety and depression issues but I've been on the meds for a long time (have tried different ones). I do not drive due to anxiety so unfortunately I can not get to counseling :(   I am on Prilosec as needed. Maybe I should continue to take it every day. Thanks very much. I appreciate your reply. 

Most Active