My 5 Year Anniversary!

judyalbertson
on 7/26/16 3:09 pm

I had my gastric sleeve done July 18, 2011 in Mexicali by Dr. Aceves.  He was a wonderful doctor, but sadly, he was killed in a private plane crash a few years ago. 

I love my sleeve and i have no regrets at all!  My lowest weight was 134 from 217 and it took me 8 months to get there.  I have slowly crept back up to 147 and that is where I stay most days.  Weight will absolutely come back if you don't change your eating style.  Getting a sleeve is not a free ticket to thinness. 

Even though meat fills me up very fast, foods like crackers or popcorn are difficult to feel in my stomach so I can eat too much (sliders).  I feel good most of the time, but I do have hypoglycemia now if I eat something with a high-sugar content.  My blood sugar jumps up and then drops very low within an hour.  I do try to avoid sugary foods and stick to fruits and vegetables.  I fill up fast with meat, noodles, rice or bread so I avoid those foods. (I do try to eat meat once a day, though.)   I have a love-hate relationship with food...I get hungry, but when I eat I often feel lousy for a while afterward.  The key is to eat slowly and not very much at a sitting.  I am a nurse so eating slowly is a challenge since our breaks are often fast.

Get a sleeve, but eat right and exercise to keep yourself from becoming unhealthy again. 

Smallbites2015
on 7/26/16 3:49 pm

Wow great milestone. Appreciate the advice.  Keep up the good work

judyalbertson
on 7/27/16 12:51 pm

Thank you!

diane S.
on 7/26/16 5:07 pm

Thanks for the post. you are so right that reaching goal weight is not a license to pig out. Still gotta watch the eating and stay with the new habits you have formed.  Good on you. I eat no carbs except in veggies and a rare tortilla and its just gotta be that way. 6 years and about 6 lbs regain. Still not a minutes regret.  gl.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

judyalbertson
on 7/27/16 12:49 pm

Thank you!

mylastchance
on 7/26/16 5:34 pm

No regrets here either.  It has been a great ride.  Last year due to losing my brother who I was extremely close with, and 5 weeks later losing my daughter in law and watching my son go through what must be the toughest thing to deal with, I lost focus on me and gained 20 lbs.  It sucked,  but as of May I regrouped and have lost 15 of the 20 and am almost there.  I am really happy that I was able to reel myself back in before it got totally out of hand. 

I did find that I do have restriction and I was able to just go back to basics and deal with it all.  I kept telling myself that my brother would want this for me and it helped me when I felt at my weakest.  It's been a tough year and a half now and though I miss both of them tons,  I know that they are looking out for me, so I am doing the best I can for me.

It is important to eat right, take vitamins, drink plenty of water and for me....walking is my thing.  This week it has been pretty difficult at 105* .... hate the heat!!  I have instead, been keeping myself busy with sewing and making hair bows for the grand-girls. 

Keep up the good work and,  Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary.  Yayyyy!!!

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

Theduffman27
on 7/27/16 5:18 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Sorry to hear of the loss you had to deal with and I can understand how that can add stress and cause a change in habits. Glad to hear you responded well and are back on track. It is nice to hear long term success stories, thank you for sharing, inspirational. I am only 20 months out, I plan on being a long term success story! Have a great day! Mike

judyalbertson
on 7/27/16 12:50 pm

You are doing great!  It definitely is a work in progress...forever!

Theduffman27
on 7/27/16 5:15 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Hi Judy , Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your long term success. Very inspirational and at 20 months post op I can relate to what you are saying. I feel the sleeve has given me a tool to change my lifestyle and eating habits and while it gets tougher every day, I remain diligent. have a great day!

judyalbertson
on 7/27/16 12:50 pm

Great job and stay strong!

Most Active