Need advice on hair loss

Michelle B.
on 7/26/16 4:12 pm, edited 7/28/16 2:30 am

I had VSG surgery on 4/4/16.  About 3 weeks ago I started having hair loss.  I was hoping this wouldn't happen to me but it has.  Every morning when I wash my hair and comb it out I have a lot of hair that comes out.   I have been taking my vitamins and eating my protein.  I am also taking Biotin to help with regrowth.   I bought a hair thickening shampoo and conditioner but I'm not sure if that's even helping.  I am going to the hair salon this weekend to get it cut shorter.  I was wondering if anyone has any advice or helpful tips on how to deal with the hair loss.  How long does the hair loss phase last?  Is there anything I can do to stop my hair from falling out?  When does the hair start growing back?  

Neesie57
on 7/26/16 4:28 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

If you do a search for "Hair Loss" you with find many, many threads on the subject.  What almost all of them will tell you, is that there is nothing you can do.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

CMR1075
on 7/28/16 6:18 am
VSG on 01/15/16

Nessie is right on the money there...I know because I was there too very recently. My hair started falling out towards month 3 or 4 and finally stopped about 3 weeks ago (I'm in month 6). It was coming out in clumps and I was so scared that I was going to be bald. It sucks! I was in panic mode, which probably didn't help the situation either. I was eating all the right things, taking all the right vitamins but it continued. Unfortunately it's one of the side effects from this surgery that can happen and we were just one of the lucky ones to endure it. It will subside eventually...just find some cute headbands to wear in the meantime ;) 

Allie16
on 7/26/16 4:44 pm
VSG on 04/14/16

Hi Michelle,

I too had my surgery in April and I am experiencing hair loss. Totally freaks me out, but I have read all that I can on here and it seems we just have to wait it out. I sort of want to get a perm just so it has some body but afraid that will cause more to fall out. Trying to ignore it, but man is that hard.

White Dove
on 7/26/16 5:50 pm - Warren, OH

The hair follicles that are releasing hair now that went to sleep when you were given anesthesia for your surgery.  It takes about three months for the hair to start falling out.  The fallout lasts from three to six months.

You can make sure you are getting plenty of protein and it is also helpful to rinse your hair with vinegar water after shampooing.  That helps keep the scalp in an acid state and is healthy for new growth.  There are many products you can buy that also do the same thing, make the scalp more acid.

Hair color, perms, shampooing, etc will not make it worse.  The damage has already happened.  You just have to wait it out.

In a few months you will see new hairs growing on your scalp. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Michelle B.
on 7/26/16 5:56 pm

Thank you all so much for this helpful advice.  I just have to wait it out and hope for the best.  I will definitely try rinsing my hair with the vinegar water.  I need to color my hair but I am afraid to riget now.  I'm also thinking about getting a wig if it gets too thin.  I'll see what happens.  

catwoman7
on 7/27/16 6:01 am
RNY on 06/03/15

fortunately, it seems that extreme cases like that (where you'd need a wig) are pretty rare.  Hang in there!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/27/16 8:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I dyed my hair often after it started falling out. A color that was a little bit lighter helped to camoflauge it better, since the contrast between hair and scalp wasn't too bad.

A shorter haircut, or one with layers can be helpful. I wore a pixie and didn't start growing it out until almost a year post-op.

Thickening shampoo doesn't do much, but I did have good luck with "hair fibers," it's a powder you shake onto your scalp and they cling to the hair you've got. Heck, I sometimes just put a little bit of eyeshadow over the bare spots on my scalp so the pale skin would blend into my brown hair better!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

getNfit4life
on 7/26/16 7:00 pm

My surgery was 3/8/16 and I am also experiencing this. I have noticed it falling out more the past month or so. Makes me very nervous. I just hope everyone is right and it comes back! I started taking biotin melts about 3 weeks ago, but have not seen a difference. I know it is not growing either because I color my hair and it has not grown much the past month :( 

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/27/16 3:33 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

My surgery was 3/28/2016 - I'm losing hair too but not too much yet so I hope it stops.  I know that people in Weigh****chers who lost a lot of weight used to experience this and I never did after previous surgeries, so I think it is the quick weight loss causing it. 

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active