Diet.....The bad word?

frisco
on 8/25/16 6:42 pm

Call it what you want.....

• Healthy eating
  • A lifestyle change
  • Eating clean
  • On plan

Whatever you want to call it....... It's a diet !!!!

I get it, we all get it.....diets equate to torture and failure, we got so fat we needed surgical intervention after a long list of diet and post diet failures.

For those that may think that post WLS life is not a diet...... I would strongly suggest that you may want to re-think that !!!

I'm not saying that it can't be done..... I will say that if your not on a diet your relying on luck..... how lucky are you?

I have even heard of surgeons and programs say that it's not a diet, eat what you want ..... have surgery, eat less, lose weight....done deal.

I like ice cream more than broccoli..... think that works? 

However you want to paint it..... It's a diet.

Embrace it !!!

It is what you make it !!!

Diet is not a bad word in the proper context !!!!

Being on a diet of proper delicious foods is way better than being fat again. (note to self)

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Grim_Traveller
on 8/25/16 7:09 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Truth.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

LeapSecond
on 8/26/16 4:00 am - AR

As a life long dieter I didn't care what you called it, I just wanted it to work.  Read a new diet book, follow a new plan, from the latest research, from the newest doctor, take the newest drugs.  Surgery. I feel like I've tried it all.  I am fighting regain now.  It is a constant battle.  Learning. Diet.    

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Bufflehead
on 8/26/16 5:40 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I don't think of diet as a bad word, but I don't use it so much in the sense of "a period of time when you reduce calories to lose weight." I use it more as "a habitual way of eating." As in, "I eat a vegetarian diet" or "everyone should eat a balanced diet" or "people in China tend to have a diet based on rice."

So, I don't think of myself as being "on" a diet, but I definitely have a dietary plan. Always. If I am trying to maintain my weight, I am in the maintenance mode of my dietary plan. If I am trying to lose weight, I am in the weight loss mode of my dietary plan.

Whatever you call it, I think that for most people, having no plan or strategy will likely lead to failure at some point (yes, there are exceptions -- I am not one of them). "Eat whatever I feel like eating and depend on having a surgically reduced stomach stop me before I get too many calories in" isn't a plan IMO!

psychoticparrot
on 8/26/16 9:02 am

Thanks, Frisco. After two emotionally turbulent months (and a 10-pound regain), your post is just the slap upside the head I needed.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

acbbrown
on 8/26/16 9:51 am - Granada Hills, CA

I hate that damn word. Until I saw it explained like this: (something to this effect)

Diet: did I eat thoughtfully 

taking the negative society's version out of it helps. 

I personally no longer diet in the traditional sense bc diets always have an end and a beginning and include some form of deprivation. But I eat thoughtfully or mindfully. I eliminated my trigger foods from my meal plan and chose to abstain but bc it's a daily choice, it no longer amounts to deprivation. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/16 11:04 am

Hey, a diet is a diet is a diet. One can have a diet of fast food and soda pop. One can have a diet that is protein centric, low carb, and minimal fat. 

To me the 4 letter word DIET always had a beginning and an end. DIET has a torturous connotation. DIET implies deprivation. You could go off a diet and back on, blah, blah, blah... weight goes up and down, but mostly up for those of us who battle obesity. 

Now, my diet is something that has to be sustainable. To maintain or lose I have to restrict what I eat - no doubt about it. I would eat ice cream and cookies every effing day, if I could get away with it, but I can't. Oh, yeah, chocolate, too! Over the years I have had to completely rethink and revamp the way I eat. Sure, I still have lapses, but they are fewer and farther between and less dramatic. 

So, yeah, I'm on a DIET, but I've stopped thinking about it as a DIET. It's just the way I HAVE to eat to stay a normal size and healthy. 

Renren
on 8/26/16 11:29 am
VSG on 12/02/15

Diet is one of those words that took on a new meaning. All it is supposed to mean is, the way you eat. Everyone has a diet, but we can choose a good well thought out diet, or a wreck less one. I know that I always need a method or my weight always goes up. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Most Active