Beverages on a cruise

MissNexxie
on 8/29/16 7:38 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Hi all,

Going on a 7 day cruise this weekend and while I'm on board (?) with sticking to low carb, high protein foods (as best I can), I'm at a loss for beverages besides water. I'm not a soda drinker, even pre-wls, and am looking for ideas when we go out to the lounge, club, excursion resorts. My post-vsg life is mostly plain or flavoured water, coffee and tea.

Any alternate suggestions that aren't full of sugar? Alcohol free ideas are even better. I don't tolerate liquor well. What do you think of shipping on a white wine spritzer that's mostly spritzer? I will take water flavoring along but need other ideas so I'm not drinking coffee at 10 pm. Thanks!

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Oneillch
on 8/29/16 8:02 am
VSG on 02/04/15

Be sure to order the spritzer with seltzer (try avoiding club soda as its full of sodium) or diet 7-Up, have decaf unsweetened ice tea or coffee (if necessary order a glass of ice & a cup of the hot tea or coffee & mix it yourself). Bring a water bottle that has an infuser and add lemon, lime or any fresh fruit or herbs you like. (Mine is 32 oz, so I know that two a day is my water for the day).

Have fun!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/29/16 8:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Alcohol isn't a great idea. It's empty calories, and lots of folks find themselves having trouble with it after surgery.

How about club soda/seltzer water, "light" lemonade, or iced tea?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Nick S.
on 8/29/16 9:06 am - Detroit, MI
VSG on 12/22/15

Depending on which cruise line and drink packages you've chosen, there should be many options for you on the ship. I just cruised with Royal Carribean and they have non-carb diet drink options like flavored waters, lemonades, teas and such. 

Off the ship is a little trickier but most ports that US-based cruises sail to are fairly americanized and should have similar options at resturants and excursion stops. 

We saw many people bringing on bottles of wine, so I'd check with the cruise line first but I'm sure you could do something like that as well.

I mostly drank water and tea, but did splurge a time or two with a fruity frozen drink and all went well.

have fun!

Heaviest: 335   Currently: 190

VSG in December 2015

MissNexxie
on 8/29/16 9:35 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I am going on RCCL so will check out their selection.  Thanks.  It's been many years since I've cruised so feel like a newbie.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Most Active