Hiatal hernia

Queen_Q89
on 9/22/16 7:57 pm - FL
VSG on 02/19/15

so after battling severe vomiting and acid reflux my G.I doctor has found a hiatal hernia and stomach swelling. Im constantly having pain in that region so that explains a lot! I always figured that the pain was from a lack of bowel movements due to the high dose of iron that I take for my anemia! He gave me some pills, and nexium as well. I noticed that a lot of you on here have had your hernias repaired. My G.I doctor told me that surgery is not necessary, and that I can cope with it by eating smaller meals. In the back of my head im thinking "dude, I'm sleeved how much smaller can my meals get?!?" Lol. Im considering talking to my bariatric surgeon to get his opinion on the hernia, and also to try and get deeper into why my stomach is constantly inflamed. Has anyone not had their hernia repaired? If so, how are you coping with it? Whats your eating schedule like? Has anyone delt with constant stomach inflammation?

NYMom222
on 9/22/16 8:58 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I would talk to the Bariatric Doctor. Leaving Hiatal Hernias alone is a much more 'old school' train of thought. Years ago they didn't really do Hiatal Hernia repair (my dad had one for decades, and suffered), but new research has shown the acid can damage the esophagus over time, so they are quicker to do it.

As we have altered anatomy, I would always get the opinion of the Bariatric Doc...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Queen_Q89
on 9/23/16 8:37 am - FL
VSG on 02/19/15
On September 23, 2016 at 3:58 AM Pacific Time, NYMom222 wrote:

I would talk to the Bariatric Doctor. Leaving Hiatal Hernias alone is a much more 'old school' train of thought. Years ago they didn't really do Hiatal Hernia repair (my dad had one for decades, and suffered), but new research has shown the acid can damage the esophagus over time, so they are quicker to do it.

As we have altered anatomy, I would always get the opinion of the Bariatric Doc...

Its a definite will do

Anita
on 9/22/16 9:04 pm

Hi Queen,

I don't know if this helps, but I had my band removed partially because we thought it was aggravating my hiatal hernia problem.....I was already planning on being sleeved at that point because the band was really not working for me and I was throwing up at odd times....sometimes I could eat everything in sight and other times I couldn't swallow water.

I was on Nexium for a long time and it really helped, but I still had some breakthrough pain at times. I had an endoscopy in February and even I could pick out the hernia on the film (I know how to read dental films, but not endoscopy).....it was a doozy. Anyhow, my surgeon said she would repair it at the time we did the sleeve. She wanted me to continue with Nexium for 3 months after my sleeve (at first they had me taking powdered Nexium.............OMG............beyond vile). Now, I'm just past 3 months out and no longer need it on a daily basis, but I'm afraid to stop it altogether.

Some of the things I learned for myself is that eating too late is a big problem, drinking too much diet Snapple causes severe relflux especially in the middle of the night and that sleeping on my right side was even worse than the diet Snapple. Sleeping on my right side doesn't seem to be a problem anymore because the part of the stomach where the acid pools during the night is gone.....but out of habit, I still try not to sleep that way.

I'm taking Nexium about every third day right now and it seems to be fine.....will continue until I see my surgeon in November and see what she suggests. So far, so good.

Smaller meals.....yeah, they don't get much smaller that what we're able to eat now, do they? I think that your suggestion about speaking to your bariatric doctor is the best choice....who better than the one who already operated on your stomach?

As to my eating schedule, I don't know if I can help because I'm still in weight loss mode, but thankfully I no longer suffer with the problems I had before my hernia was fixed. Did they also check for gall stones?  I understand (not sure if this is correct or "rumor") that those pains are similar.

Either way, I hope you feel better soon.....if you're taking Nexium, at this point, I recommend that you take it pretty much the same time every day so that you have constant relief. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Queen_Q89
on 9/23/16 8:37 am - FL
VSG on 02/19/15
On September 23, 2016 at 4:04 AM Pacific Time, Anita wrote:

Hi Queen,

I don't know if this helps, but I had my band removed partially because we thought it was aggravating my hiatal hernia problem.....I was already planning on being sleeved at that point because the band was really not working for me and I was throwing up at odd times....sometimes I could eat everything in sight and other times I couldn't swallow water.

I was on Nexium for a long time and it really helped, but I still had some breakthrough pain at times. I had an endoscopy in February and even I could pick out the hernia on the film (I know how to read dental films, but not endoscopy).....it was a doozy. Anyhow, my surgeon said she would repair it at the time we did the sleeve. She wanted me to continue with Nexium for 3 months after my sleeve (at first they had me taking powdered Nexium.............OMG............beyond vile). Now, I'm just past 3 months out and no longer need it on a daily basis, but I'm afraid to stop it altogether.

Some of the things I learned for myself is that eating too late is a big problem, drinking too much diet Snapple causes severe relflux especially in the middle of the night and that sleeping on my right side was even worse than the diet Snapple. Sleeping on my right side doesn't seem to be a problem anymore because the part of the stomach where the acid pools during the night is gone.....but out of habit, I still try not to sleep that way.

I'm taking Nexium about every third day right now and it seems to be fine.....will continue until I see my surgeon in November and see what she suggests. So far, so good.

Smaller meals.....yeah, they don't get much smaller that what we're able to eat now, do they? I think that your suggestion about speaking to your bariatric doctor is the best choice....who better than the one who already operated on your stomach?

As to my eating schedule, I don't know if I can help because I'm still in weight loss mode, but thankfully I no longer suffer with the problems I had before my hernia was fixed. Did they also check for gall stones?  I understand (not sure if this is correct or "rumor") that those pains are similar.

Either way, I hope you feel better soon.....if you're taking Nexium, at this point, I recommend that you take it pretty much the same time every day so that you have constant relief. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks. I've been trying the nexium to see how it goes for me until im able to speak with my wls surgeon 

Grim_Traveller
on 9/23/16 5:40 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Only certain kinds of iron constipate. Others, such as carbonyl or heme iron, cause no constipation.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Queen_Q89
on 9/23/16 8:35 am - FL
VSG on 02/19/15
On September 23, 2016 at 12:40 PM Pacific Time, Grim Traveller, Boy Hag wrote:

Only certain kinds of iron constipate. Others, such as carbonyl or heme iron, cause no constipation.

I take 1000mg of ferrous sulfate in pill form daily. Not sure which category it would fall in out of the irons that you stated, but what im taking causes me constipation on top of previous intestinal issues that I've had before the sleeve...

Grim_Traveller
on 9/23/16 10:48 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Ferrous sulfate, ferrous gluconate, ferrous fumaraide -- and of the ferrous salts will cause stomach upset and constipation.

Carbonyl iron is the least expensive option of those that do not constipate. Heme iron won't either, but it's less common and more pricey.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gwen M.
on 9/23/16 4:11 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I also recommend that you change the type of iron you're taking and talk with a bariatric surgeon.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

happyteacher
on 9/23/16 5:37 pm

I did chat with my doc about repairing vs. not repaired prior to having it fixed. His stance was so long as the symptoms were manageable, to just leave it be. In my case, I had reached a point where I couldn't keep solid food down so something had to be done. I suspect if I had not lost a fair amount of weight from it though, maybe he would have held off longer. It is much higher risk for them to go in for a second repair. Is this your first or second hernia?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views