Obsessed with chips!

Arjeffries
on 9/24/16 5:17 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

I have been obsessed with chips for the last month. I didn't even like chips before surgery. Now I have been eating them daily. It has been really hot here and I'm not drinking enough. If I eat pickles or olives , my craving for chips is less. I'm wondering if I am needing more salt in my diet? My salt intake normally is low because I dont eat fast food, frozen meals, boxed meals etc. anymore.

Gwen M.
on 9/24/16 5:49 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

This definitely seems to me like you need more salt in your diet.  Add salt to the food you cook, or drink some gatorade (G2).  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

psychoticparrot
on 9/24/16 6:29 pm
  1. Throw away the chips and don't bring any more into your house! You can't eat them if they're not there.
  2. Start drinking enough. Keeping well hydrated is critical for your health. 
  3. A tiny sprinkling of salt on your food is more than enough to maintain healthy sodium levels. Even in the heat, unless you're exercising strenuously for hours, you probably don't need as much salt as you think. To be sure, check this site: http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/how-much-sodium-do -you-need/?utm_source=HL&utm_medium=HeartOrg&utm_term=Sodium Science&utm_content=SodiumAndSalt&utm_campaign=SodiumBreakup

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Arjeffries
on 9/24/16 7:44 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

Yeah I don't buy the bags of chips and bring them into the house. I learned my lesson on that one. I ate 500 calories of chips once. I'll usually stop by the gas station and pick up a water and a single serving of chips. I need to increase my water intake but it is hard to do with the job that I have. I dont have access to a bathroom and sometimes I have to drive a distance to use a gas station bathroom. My 11 year old offered her brand of motivation. She said," Just back away slowly from the chips Fattie." 

White Dove
on 9/24/16 11:47 pm - Warren, OH

During weight loss phase, I purchased cases of single serving Kay's Protein Chips often enough to always have a bag available.  They do not taste as "good" as the chips from the gas station, but they satisfied the urge for a crunchy snack.

Now Quest Nutrition sells protein chips.  I like their texture and flavors.  The Quest chips cost $2.39 a serving.  I consider that expensive but an investment in my health.  They have 21 grams of protein for 130 calories. 

They give me the taste I like, but they are not so yummy that I would want to eat more than one bag.  I eat them slowly and they are the protein portion of one of my meals.  Usually 1/2 a bag is enough to satisfy me.

Surgery was a life changing event for me.  Part of that life change was giving up the junk food for high protein, low carb replacements.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/25/16 3:31 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I recently bought Quest protein chips as well and find that they work well for a chip craving.  Like White Dove, I find that 1/2 bag satisfies probably because of the protein amount?  I would have had to have more if they were regular chips.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Arjeffries
on 9/25/16 5:33 am
VSG on 01/27/16

I will try those chips. I am going to put salt in my food. I don't like the taste of salt but I am going to try it. I have been averaging about 900 to 1000 mg of salt daily for the last threee months.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views