Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil

iDeserveThis
on 11/3/16 8:07 am
VSG on 11/12/13

Good Morning! Have any of you seen any benefits of adding Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil to your diet?

I drink my coffee in the morning (and for lunch) mixed with my vanilla whey protein isolate powder and have been told that adding the Coconut Oil is healthy and promotes weight loss.

Directions say to use 1-2 Tbsp at a time  but  adding just a 1/2 a tsp made it oily. If I don't add the recommended amount, is it not worth it anyway?

Thanks all!

Grim_Traveller
on 11/3/16 10:03 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It doesn't promote weight loss. There is no magic food that will do that.

If you are not getting enough fat in your diet, it would be an ok choice. Too little fat will leave you with constipation, brittle hair, dry skin, etc. If you already get enough fat, it's just extra calories that you don't need.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/3/16 10:46 am
RNY on 08/05/19

People will tell you all SORTS of things are healthy and "promote weight loss," that doesn't mean it's true though.

Here's some great science info on coconut oil. The only study on coconut oil and weight loss compared it to soybean oil for shrinking one's waist, and there was zero difference between the two. (That is to say that neither oil did a darn thing!)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/3/16 11:18 am

I like Coconut oil. A lot..  just not in my coffee.

what you are referring to is known as "BPC" bullet proof coffee for people on Keto diets... when they do "fasting on fat " most of the day...

The real part in coconut oil taht may benefit metabolism and stimulate fat loss is pure MCT oil... I know that I can tolerate maybe 1/2 tsp of that in my shake.. if any... The MCT oil is too stimulating for me.. I add it now to my low carb baking... 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18326600

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 11/3/16 11:30 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I use it rather than other vegetable oils.  Canola oil is crap, basically.  I actually tend to use tallow or bacon fat for cooking the most, though.

I have never seen a satisfactory answer for how coconut oil has inherent weight loss properties more than anything else.  It's healthier than margarine and transfats, but then pretty much every other fat is.

The bulletproof coffee thing has you put butter and/or coconut oil in your coffee for breakfast.  I used to do that, but I often skip it these days.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

califsleevin
on 11/4/16 7:54 am - CA

When coconut oil first came on the scene as a "health food" a few years ago, it sure smelled like someone repositioning what had been a cheap commodity oil sold mostly to food processors and fast food chains to a high margin boutique product sold through the likes of Whole Foods. It is a good high temperature cooking oil (which is why it originally found its home in restaurant deep fryers) but you aren't going to promote weight loss by adding calories to your diet, though it may be a suitable alternative product where other oils are used.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active