Advil Gel Caps for the pain?

DakotaCJ
on 11/3/16 3:27 pm

Hi Ya'll,

I have a call in to my doctor but sometimes it takes a couple hours for an answer. I have some arthritis today and wonder if anyone takes Advil Gel Caps. That is the one thing I remember but never took notes on. I know I CAN have liquid Advil (usually bought in children's section) but I am out. I had asked specifically about GEL CAPS but I can't remember answer.

Let me know if any of you have insight. Tylenol and the hospital medication don't work for me.

AK_Gipson
on 11/3/16 4:35 pm
VSG on 04/14/14

How far out from surgery are you?

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

DakotaCJ
on 11/3/16 4:39 pm

Hi AK-

I am about 3.5 weeks out of surgery. I am on solid (not crushed) pills but I understand Advil is a whole different ball game

White Dove
on 11/3/16 4:45 pm - Warren, OH

It is recommended to never take Advil or any other NSAID after weight loss surgery because of risk of ulcers.  That includes liquid Advil.  Most surgeons tell their patients that before surgery.

Tylenol is Ok and so are creams like Tiger Balm and Biofreeze.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

AK_Gipson
on 11/3/16 4:56 pm
VSG on 04/14/14

You CAN take NSAIDs with the vsg. I take an anti inflamatory everyday. You can NOT take NSAIDs with an Bypass. This is the main reason I choose the vsg.

that said, to be on the "safe" side, I would poke a hole in the gel cap and squeeze the med into a small amount (1 oz ) of a shake, or sugar free pudding... That way you're not trying to digest the capsule. I also would not take it on an empty stomach. Drink most of the shake or whatever then take the mix of shake and meds. 

DakotaCJ
on 11/3/16 5:16 pm

Thank you AK! They are a super idea! Appreciate the help

Grim_Traveller
on 11/3/16 5:26 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Last year the ASMBS changed their guidelines and included VSG in the no NSAIDs group. Too many issues were accumulating from NSAID use.

I especially wouldn't use them 3.5 weeks out of any stomach surgery. Too much risk on tender healing parts.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

AK_Gipson
on 11/3/16 5:38 pm
VSG on 04/14/14

Huh!  My surgeon has never mentioned this to me. And like I said I take mobic everyday.

White Dove
on 11/3/16 9:26 pm - Warren, OH

The VSG became popular starting about eight years ago.  At first, we were told that it was the best choice for people who needed to take NSAIDs.  But there were too many ulcers with VSG and NSAIDs are no longer recommended.

Some surgeons may not follow the recommendations of the ASMBS.  They may just not keep up with what is going on.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

DakotaCJ
on 11/4/16 6:59 am

Thanks White Dove-

I appreciate your feedback. I would doubt that my surgeon doesn't keep up with what is going on. Wishing you a great holiday season.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views