Bowel changes after VSG?

Karen D.
on 11/5/16 5:58 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Anyone have an increase in cramps and diarrhea after you eat since surgery?  I don't know if it's food intolerance or what.  Eating too fast?  Just curious.

Donna L.
on 11/5/16 7:05 am, edited 11/5/16 12:06 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It's not uncommon for a variety of reasons. Things take time to readjust, and the stomach needs to heal.  Dumping is sometimes common with any gastrectomy, though less common for us because we have our pyloric valve, but that's one possibility.  It can also be food intolerance, or a lack of solid food. If you are eating sugar-free items, sugar alcohols are well-known for causing diarrhea.  They are often in puddings or popsicles.  That may be another possibility, too.  It depends on what you are eating.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Karen D.
on 11/5/16 7:40 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

It's been hard to figure out if it's a food that is causing it.  Those sugar alcohols are evil!  I stay away completely!  

Donna L.
on 11/5/16 9:53 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The best way to find food intolerance is to introduce things slowly one at a time - or eliminate them one at a time.  For instance, lactose intolerance is more notorious after bypass surgeries (RNY, DS), but it can affect us, too.  

Hopefully it can get resolved for you :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Jevelynne
on 11/5/16 10:53 am, edited 11/5/16 3:53 am
VSG on 10/26/15

I have not had diarrhea but ONE time since surgery (scrambled an egg instead of eating it over easy in soft protein stage and it DID NOT sit well)  Other wise I am pretty consistent... Now, yes, very different than pre-op as much firmer, much less and a few times constipation.  But I have tried to increased fiber intake, make sure I get my water and workout to keep things moving.  I have noticed a HUGE increase in gas from eating grapes, which is terrible because they are yummy snacks!  :)  That is what I have personally noticed for me.

HW: 299   SW: 277.2   VSG: 10-26-2015  Dr. Brian Gluck
Dr Goal Weight : 182.5 Hit Dr Goal 7-23-16
New Goal Weight: 170

diane S.
on 11/5/16 12:30 pm

its not unusual. Sometimes its the whey protein in most of the protein drinks and powders. You might try egg white based protein powder or soy based.  many people have the opposite issue. gl.  diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

White Dove
on 11/5/16 1:26 pm - Warren, OH

What gave me terrible gas and diarrhea was the Celebrate Chewable vitamins for bariatric patients.  They had maltatol and sorbitol.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Jadeyesmiling
on 11/5/16 11:19 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

Ive had both and extreme pain depending on what I eat and how fast, and quantity.  If I have anything carb related it binds me up way too much, so I stay on a very low carb diet.  Also I have to make sure that my water intake is right up there. Definitely more work to stay on a regular schedule like pre-surgery but its very manageable once you readjust to your body's needs and signals. :) You got this!! :)

HW: 528 CW: 386 Short term Goal weight: 350

Tracey :)

rocky513
on 11/6/16 4:14 pm - WI

Could you be lactose intolerant?  If your protein supplement has whey concentrate in it, it contains lactose.  Whey isolate is 99% lactose free.  I was sick for months with nausea and diarrhea before I figured out that my protein powder was loaded with lactose.  

Find a whey isolate powder and mix it with water, almond milk, or cashew milk.  Eliminate milk products for awhile to see if you improve.  I can eat cheese and Greek yogurt because the lactose is used up in the process of making it, but milk still sends me running for the bathroom.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Karen D.
on 11/7/16 6:35 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Thanks everyone.  I actually don't drink protein shakes because I think whey protein was a culprit early on.  I'll keep on trying to figure out what is causing it.  I appreciate the suggestions.

Most Active